The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Perfomance] Intro video

By on September 12, 2008 9:13:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi

Everytime I launch Demigod, the short intro is very laggy. I always skip it, because it has only ~1 or 2 FPS.

Not really a problem. But if you put nice cinematics in the intro too, I want to see them

You can find my dxdiag here. Had some bugs in the forums with very big posts.

+29 Karma | 8 Replies
December 19, 2008 2:14:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry for double post, but the problem is still there

I´ve tried to deactivate my onboard soundcard, which results in following error (occuring a few seconds after i started the game):

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

"C:\work\forge\beta\code\src\core\SndMain.cpp:line 197: system->getDriverCaps(0, &caps, 0, 0, &speakermode) failed: An invalid parameter was passed to this function.

Program : C:\Programme\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe

Cmd line arguments :

Callstack:

unavailable.

Last 100 lines of log...

A full record of the log is stored in the Demigodlog.txt file

info: Full Log file: C:\Programme\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\DemigodLog

info: DEMIGOD VERSION BETA.0.07.0825

info: DISK: AddSearchPath: 'c:\programme\stardock games\demigod\dgdata.zip', mounted as '/'

info: DISK: AddSearchPath: 'c:\programme\stardock games\demigod\movies', mounted as '/movies/'

info: DISK: AddSearchPath: 'c:\programme\stardock games\demigod\sounds', mounted as '/sounds/'

info: DISK: AddSearchPath: 'c:\programme\stardock games\demigod\loc', mounted as '/loc/'"

So the game doesn´t like deactivated soundcards.

In addition I´ve tried to lower the hardware acceleration speed of the sound. In my opinion, this increased the performance of the intro video a little bit.

Don´t know whats wrong with my machine, every other intro movie from an other game works fine

December 19, 2008 3:14:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for updating us. To help us continue testing, could I have you download the standard Bink player found here:

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

And open any of the movie files located in the /movies subdirectory of the Demigod install.

I would like to know if you still see a very low framerate in playing a Bink movie without using the Demigod engine.

We have seen some problems in the past with desynched core clocks wreaking havok on bink videos, and would like to eliminate that as a possible cause for what you are seeing.

- Servo

December 19, 2008 3:37:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Using the RAD Video Tools to play the intro works very fine

No performance issues while using the player (the sed videos are cute )

December 19, 2008 5:44:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay, that eliminates one variable. You said that you disabled your on-board sound card. What made you think that this might be the culprit? I don't think we have seen problems that would heavily impact performance. Was there a warning about the device or something?

- Servo

December 19, 2008 6:10:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A guy from the IRC (Wagnard) tried to help me. He mentioned, that sometimes the sound card can lead to some strange bugs. So I´ve tried to deactivate it, but with no effect.

December 19, 2008 7:56:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I also have "choppy video" on intro.  First I thought it was an effect, but then it continues until the main menu.

Could a DirectShow codec cause this problem?  I also use this machine as a PVR and have several types of PVR software installed, each wanting to install their own DirectShow filters....

ps. Soundcards do and can cause problems related to networking (in vista: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/21/1441240 ) and hardware interrupt issues for certain cards).

January 17, 2009 7:10:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I´ve just updated Demigod and voila:

It works fine for me now

January 17, 2009 8:52:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update! 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.