The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Ideas] Demigod NEEDS more than just 4 Demigods a side!

By on September 5, 2008 11:21:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I would expect to see far more than just 4 demigods per side upon the release date. If the developers of this game are truly interested in increasing their fan base and increasing the interest in this product they NEED to provide a sufficient number of demigods that promote diverse gameplay. Otherwise, with few charcter choices player interest will wane before it has waxed due to the monotony that will ensue from limited choices. While undoubtedly expansions will be offered later with an increased amount of demigods to choose from, for a reasonable price no doubt, the initial character release should incorporate at least 8-12 demigods per side. This would ensure that the developer would maintain the anticipated interest long enough for the aforementioned expansions to be completed.

Siksikiisoi

0 Karma | 106 Replies
September 5, 2008 11:36:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Um it's 8 per side.

it's not assassins vs. generals.  You choose out of any of the 8 you want.

September 5, 2008 11:37:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GOD.  EDIT SERISOULY.  This is getting so annoying.

"diversity" could and hopefully will come in better choices and functions of skills.

September 6, 2008 12:17:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That is only 8 TOTAL...boring! Mirror matches are, you guessed it: boring! Unless you can only choose a character only once instead of multiple instances, in which case its a like saying im not eating a ham and cheese sandwich, im eating a cheese and ham sandwich.

September 6, 2008 12:18:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

edit serously? wow the pun escapes you.

September 6, 2008 12:48:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

8 characters/demigods total doesn't necessarily make a game boring. If they have no depth and really only 1 way to play them then yes. If you look at a guild wars warrior for example, you can play axe, sword, or hammer and all play differently. Even within those three archtypes you'd have some differences in how the character plays and their strengths/weaknesses depending on your secondary and how you round out your skill bar.

The current problem is that the skill choice options and varying builds just aren't present - it all seems the same.

September 6, 2008 1:18:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Most of the problem is that the initial beta doesn't have the depth and the variety of possible builds as it will later when the various abilities are all balanced nicely. I wonder what it will feel like once Regulus isn't an automatic stats and snipe build, for example.

September 6, 2008 1:36:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its Beta 1, lets see what happens

costs a lot to make a single demigod (~100,000 US dollars)

so its gonna be low at first, another thing, try to play differently, figure out a cooky way of playing a demigod, MAKE it interesting

September 6, 2008 1:38:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

edit serously? wow the pun escapes you.

Your the one who dosn't realise that these boards don't have a 'edit' button half the time...

September 6, 2008 1:44:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seeing how only 8 demis doesn't allow for unique demis in 5v5, I would like to see an option for max of 2 of the same hero.

September 6, 2008 2:40:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're asking them to go from 8 demigods to 24.

Answere is no.

Deal with it or leave.

September 6, 2008 2:55:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RapierX,
8 characters/demigods total doesn't necessarily make a game boring. If they have no depth and really only 1 way to play them then yes. If you look at a guild wars warrior for example, you can play axe, sword, or hammer and all play differently. Even within those three archtypes you'd have some differences in how the character plays and their strengths/weaknesses depending on your secondary and how you round out your skill bar.
The current problem is that the skill choice options and varying builds just aren't present - it all seems the same.

Saying you can play a Warrior in Guild Wars as axe, sword, or hammer isn't doing it justice..

If you take into account dual classing..

You can play a warrior with lots of interupts, while still doing good DPS which a normal interupting class can't, but you're limited by the melee.

You can play a warrior that is pure DPS, but you need to rely on someone else to slow/cripple your targets.

You can play a warrior with knockdowns and big spike damage.

You can play a warrior to spam conditions on people, making them constantly need to spend energy removing them.

You can.. i mean theres like so many good builds.  My favorite was a few adrenaline skills, disruting chop, disrupting dagger.

There was sooo many ways to play each class, but they still had their roles.

September 6, 2008 3:21:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Reaver,
its Beta 1, lets see what happens
costs a lot to make a single demigod (~100,000 US dollars)
so its gonna be low at first, another thing, try to play differently, figure out a cooky way of playing a demigod, MAKE it interesting

really?

September 6, 2008 4:21:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

could you imagine trying to balance 24 demigods

September 6, 2008 5:07:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

could you imagine trying to balance 24 demigods

That would be fun. And by fun I mean fun by comparison to eating broke glass. But 24 demigods would probably be awesome, except for the bit where the staff runs out of ideas and half are insipid and bland.

September 6, 2008 6:33:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
This is an DOTA , and in wc3 may choose about 45 heroes perfectly balanced... and about 100 items.. only 8 demigos are little bit...
September 6, 2008 6:36:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LOL. DotA, balanced?

September 6, 2008 6:50:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NwExilon,
LOL. DotA, balanced?

Yes?

OP: 8 Demigods is FINE. IF there are more than 2 viable (competant) builds for a Demigod, and if those builds change the gameplay of the given Demigod, this is going to be just fine. It's just the start, anyway. More will be incoming.

Remember that, the game's developers can think, too! You aren't the only one who thought that 8 might not be sufficient. Difference is, they can do something about it. We'll see in beta 2.

You are thinking too much DotA, where there is 1, rarely 2 builds (of major difference) for each hero, and the rest are similar, for most.

Also, ever noticed you are buying the same items for some heroes, because their gameplay is too similar? 91 distinct heroes is not an achievement, it's impossible. Especially when the engine shapes the gameplay, instead of the gameplay shaping the engine. Some are bound to play like others.

I'm not saying all heroes only have 1, maximum 2 different builds, but those who have more, are mostly exceptions (for example give me Alchemist and I can make him pure pwnage DPS, pure tank, or pure support, just by different builds)

What I'm trying to say: They wouldn't put 8 heroes on a 5v5 game if they didn't know what they were doing.

September 6, 2008 7:29:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting KyO,
This is an DOTA , and in wc3 may choose about 45 heroes perfectly balanced... and about 100 items.. only 8 demigos are little bit...

This is NOT a DotA. it is INSPIRED by dota, but is not. Its a completely different game. Only similarity is the same genre. In DotA the heroes were no where near as unique as the ones in Demigod (and its beta 1!!!)

September 6, 2008 8:17:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wc3 may choose about 45 heroes perfectly balanced... and about 100 items.. only 8 demigos are littl

during my experience with dota, out of the 91 total characters, their abilities start to repeat themselves...so the game becomes watered down imo.

September 6, 2008 8:23:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DotA is actually pretty balanced for high level competitive play.

But it's not for intermediate and noob play.

Like look at STarcraft.
It's great in comepttiive professional play.
It's great in intermediate vs. intermediate.
It's tons of fun with just noob vs. noob players too.

DotA is only good for pro vs. pro.  This is why a lot of people see it as unbalanced, and I just see it as plain frustrating and not very fun.

September 7, 2008 1:18:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, im a Dota Player myself. But alot others forget one thing. Here, Demigods got an amount of skills which would be enough for 2-3 Dota Heros. So a total of 8 Demigods would make 16-24 Dota-Heroes. And Dota also started with a little amount of Heroes. I mean, Dota is nearly as old as WC/TFT itself.

Give Demigod some time. I also would be a little bit upset if there would be only 8 Demigods for both sides (so 4 for each). This would mean, in a 5v5 Battle at least 1 dual-Hero. 8 per side on the other hand, would be more than enough for a start. Maybe limit it to: Only one Demigod of each type for each team. So that Team A and Team B could have a Rook but Team B cant fight with 5 Rooks.

This is also dangerous for balancing stuff. If one hero should get a little bit imbalanced/overpowered over the others.. everyone would just play him 5 times. This could really happen on public, non-organzide, non-league games.

BTW: Dota is not only for pro vs. pro. The community is just full with elitists, but it's not the game. The biggest part of Dota is still the public gaming (~80%). The balance in Dota is diffrent to explain. It changes with the skill of players in the game. Newbies vs Newbies got a diffrent balance than Pros vs Pros. And for a custom map, made by just so few dudes - for aboslutley nothing - its a real nice balanced game. Maybe only 20-25 of 91 are playable in pro-games but thats still quite alot. In Counterstrike exist two dozen weapons, but 90% of the players use Deagle + M4/Ak.. wow.

September 7, 2008 1:48:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In Counterstrike exist two dozen weapons, but 90% of the players use Deagle + M4/Ak.. wow.

pfft deagle/awp

September 7, 2008 12:24:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Once the engine is created I seriously doubt that it costs 100k to develope each character;otherwise, this company would die like so many other game studios. New characters would cost about 10k to 15k max. I would be interested when tools became availible for modding the hell out of Demigod.

September 7, 2008 12:39:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Every demigods we didn't seen in artworks : the number of Demigods reach 12 and they are all charismatic, I'd really like to test all in February.

September 7, 2008 12:44:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting siksikiisoi,
Once the engine is created I seriously doubt that it costs 100k to develope each character;otherwise, this company would die like so many other game studios. New characters would cost about 10k to 15k max. I would be interested when tools became availible for modding the hell out of Demigod.

Why would they lie about it if it wasn't true?

Quoted from Joystiq

According to BBC News, the average PS3 game costs nearly $15 million to make -- and that's before any marketing is done for the game.

$100,000 per demigod sounds just fine.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.