Microtransactions?

By on August 30, 2008 8:29:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

RapierX

Join Date 02/2008
+2

Or should I say micro expansions, they're the same damn thing anyway.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/906/906777p1.html

Hope this isnt planned for Demigod too. :/

Locked Post 98 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 30, 2008 8:50:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It was talked about. What's so bad about it anyway? You get to pay for exactly what you want. That seems better than buying a bunch of content of which you'll only use half.

August 30, 2008 10:00:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well in a game a lot oriented towards multiplayer it can bring some problems. Will the dlc only usable when your opponents have it to ? In a game where you can play 5vs5 it wouldn't be very smart. On the contrary, if it's usable all the time, won't it give too much advantage over those who didn't bought it ? To be on the same level as those who will buy dlc we'll have to buy it too ?

Does someone know how it will be handled with SoaSE ?

August 30, 2008 10:13:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SoaSE is going for the "It only works if everybody has it" method.

I personally don't like microtransactions, or really any online transactions as I don't have a credit card. So I have to go get a pre-paid card that adds three to five dollars. In the meantime, Paypal is bloody obtuse sometimes and so far refuses to verify my bank account.

That, and I agree with Lurhker.

August 30, 2008 11:40:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It wouldn't work like that with Demigod. You'd be able to play in games with all of the content, you just wouldn't be able to use it unless you paid for it.

August 30, 2008 11:48:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Got a source for that?

On the contrary, if it's usable all the time, won't it give too much advantage over those who didn't bought it ? To be on the same level as those who will buy dlc we'll have to buy it too ?

August 31, 2008 12:12:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It was just talked about here and there.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?p=382476#382476

I am all for it as long as long as things are balanced correctly.

August 31, 2008 12:17:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doing the one thing Bethesda did right with their microtransactions would be a good idea. This is of course, bundling them all into an 'expansion pack' at the end and selling that in stores. What would you guys who're opposed now say to that? Then as long as it's balanced, the internet orderers just get an advance on the content as they make it and help them test gradually.

August 31, 2008 3:14:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As described in the post linked by Chirmaya and xthetenth's post, no problem. Granted, I'd like the bundle as early as possible, but that's just 'cause I'm impatient.

August 31, 2008 3:56:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll feel uncomfortable paying for more demigods when there is only 8..

I don't think 8 is worth the $50 hardly.

I hope the "year of free updates" is going to bring it up to 16 before it costs money for more.

August 31, 2008 6:33:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wtf?

Hate those little boosterpacks. A few years ago it was a matter of course that the developers supplied their community with extra content which was free!

Did I really pre ordered a game which is made by an EA like company? I hope not.

August 31, 2008 7:13:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh no !!! We need at lest 12 Demigods(10+2 in order to let enough choice for the last player) at release to have enough variety in characters selection for 5v5 games.

With less Demigods, boosterpacks will be in my opinion, only a cut of the game to make money(that's not usually the politic of Stardock).

Otherwise, booster packs seems to be a good idea even if I will probably buy a bundle.

August 31, 2008 7:15:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm a fan of micro-expansions, then I can cherrypick just the parts that I want without having to buy everything. The trick is making sure the price and the amount/perceived value of content match. Originally, if I recall correctly, Bethesda messed up and over-charged for horse armor in Oblivion and later it came down to a more reasonable amount.

I'm also a fan, as Kitkun is, of releasing bundles at some point.

Hate those little boosterpacks. A few years ago it was a matter of course that the developers supplied their community with extra content which was free!

When was free extra content a matter of course? Hardly ever that I can recall and certainly not a "matter of course". Though Stardock does have a history (GalCiv I/II and now SoaSE) of providing a lot of value after the initial purchase, I don't expect them or any company to keep adding significant new content in for free.

August 31, 2008 7:33:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you´re willing to pay 30$ just for 2 more maps and maybe 2 demigods, you definitely have to much money 

August 31, 2008 8:22:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i'm willing to pay, for, maybe $3 per demigod, or well 3 for $10 plus some other things but not if we only have 8 to start with.  Should be getting more than 8 for the $45.

I'm a fan of micro expansions, but i think there is a lot I can get for free, and i don't like overpriced ones.

I don't care if a Demigod costs $100,000 to make.   their not worth $10 each or something because of that.

August 31, 2008 9:01:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As described by Scathis :

If we were to release a new demigod that:
1. We charge a nominal fee, just a couple of bucks.
2. It is balanced and does not give you a competitive advantage.
3. If you haven't purchased it you can play against them but not as them.
4. Is as professional and polished as every other demigod.
5. More are released on a regular basis.

It's better that what I imagined. I think I'd prefer full add-ons but it may be because I'm used to it.

August 31, 2008 10:40:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So at the end (in 1 or 2 years) you will have paid around 120$ just for one game?

If they will really put out new demigod just for money, I will sell my copy of Demigod. EA policy ftw

August 31, 2008 11:18:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No Nokthra, stop playing hyperbole. You would only pay for what you want to use. That is why microexpansions are better than full expansions. Would you want to pay $30 for an expansion with 10 Demigods and only use 3, or $9 for the exact 3 you want to play?

August 31, 2008 11:45:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't know what to make of this. Wasn't this suppose to be a project for competitive play ( tournaments etc. ) ?

I don't like the idea of having to buy demigods only to be able to know their weaknesses and see what they are capable of. For a competitive play, having to buy the armies of the opposition doesn't sound too good to me.

I should be able to know each demigod in the game to be able to make a decent strategy with my clan. Having to buy all demigods to stay competitive.....

August 31, 2008 12:07:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah I think your right, this is my main concern with dlc in Demigod.

August 31, 2008 12:21:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AngryZealot,
No Nokthra, stop playing hyperbole. You would only pay for what you want to use. That is why microexpansions are better than full expansions. Would you want to pay $30 for an expansion with 10 Demigods and only use 3, or $9 for the exact 3 you want to play?

And what if I want to use all demigods? In game mode, where you get random demigods (don´t like lame ap mode) you will get sooner or later all demigods.

I don´t want to focus on only a few demigods.

Well, I will just cancel the pre order. Didn´t know that Stardock is part of EA.

August 31, 2008 1:20:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Then you pay for all of the demigods and pay no more than if it were a regular expansion. It's not a huge scheme to make more money, it's meant to benefit the consumer who doesn't want to pay for stuff he or she doesn't use.

August 31, 2008 1:32:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

An expansion pack would be nicer. It looks less like ripping people off.

But one pro of microtransactions is, indeed, you get to choose which demigod to buy.

Still don't like it though.

August 31, 2008 2:11:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If they released an expansion pack's worth of content, and let you pick and choose what to buy -- and buying all of it costs the same as an expansion -- how the hell is that like ripping off people?

August 31, 2008 2:30:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe I´m "too fastidious" by other companys which are releasing free content and not taking $ for each new unit they are implementing with some patches.

August 31, 2008 2:48:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You miss the part where this was only being discussed. No official plans have been announced. New content could very well be free.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.