The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Assassin Idea

Inspired by Shogun: Total War (respect your elders time!)

By on August 30, 2008 1:46:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I was bored and thinking (bad combo, I know) and I thought of two things:

1) Hey! All these demigods have a lot of active magic! What about a guy whose active abilities are just using passive strengths to massive effect?

2) Man oh man am I looking forward to Empire Total War (Yes, I'm cheating on demigod, I know, but I also know I'm going to get some beta action soon, so I need something to wait for).

This soon went into Hey! I remember something bloody awesome in Shogun Total War. The Sword Saint! (awesome name by the way). I got to thinking about what GPG said about actual mythology occasionally getting close to being right, so the next thing I knew I was imagining an eight limbed demigod with massive sword skills ready to cleave through the creeps. With six arms (and consequently swords), he could get a ton of fast but moderately weak attacks, so his actual DPS isn't very high, but because he has nearly no overkill, he can wade into a meelee and waste no effort, unlike the Rook, who'll probably waste a lot of damage overkilling creeps. He could also be relatively defenseless outside melee, but have good mobility/closing abilities and a passive defense in melee where he dodges most incoming attacks and uses his foes to keep clear of missile attacks, much like eldar harlequins from Warhammer 40k.

If you couldn't read this bout of 1:31 AM inspired insanity, don't worry, here's the important info:

Sword Saint (tentative name):

Characteristics:

-about minotaur height, but skinnier

-6 arms with swords for cuisinart fun

-Instead of overtly magical abilities, mostly agility based sword abilities stemming from a magical quickness. (see below)

-Very good at melee against masses of creeps, doesn't do so well against single strong foes and missile attacks that catch him outside of melee.

-Magical agility lets him dodge enough attacks in melee to make up for fragility.

-Succeeds by killing so many enemy creeps that the opposing demigod is swamped by the disparity in numbers, Fails by getting pinned in combat by heavy units that resist his low DPS easily.

Pros:

-Freakin' cuisinart for basic creeps. Goes through them like six swords through butter, avoiding overkill and giving him a high damage actually dealt per second.

-Amazing agility lets him dodge most attacks sent his way in melee, making up for his low health.

Cons:

-Relatively light attacks lack the DPS to hurt larger foes such as demigods.

-Can you dodge 50 arrows? no? then die! (low health and no melee agility bonus equals a dirt nap).

-Gets hit hard by magic, so he needs to keep his magical wards (items) current and get some support to shut casters down in bigger games or he's toast.

Abilities (just a sampling):

-Dervish of Doom. The sword saint uses his agility to spin from enemy to enemy and hit each with a devastatingly precise attack, doing strong damage over a large area. Main AoE effect for melee, helps cement his role as a creep killer.

-Bladestorm. He gathers all his strength into a flurry of precision attacks each meant to capitolize on the weaknesses created by the previous one. Launches six attacks against an enemy, each of which deals 1.125 (number is an example, not an actual figure) times as much damage as the previous one did as long as it's attacking the same target. A little bit of rear covering because it would be inappropriate for him to immediately get bogged down against the first tank he sees. Better make it the second one, and this gives him a prayer against tougher units (they're a weak counter to him, unlike missiles and magic).

-Preternatural Agility (passive ability) Gives him a large bonus to his defenses against melee attacks (and arrows, they keep hitting other guys, and magic, but to a much lesser extent) as long as he is in combat. Lets him be gratuitously fragile outside of combat.

-Burst of Speed. Gives him a window of time where he can move quickly, but has a longish recharge. (I'd rather he get this instead of the teleport ability I saw in a review). Use it to get him into combat fully intact or to retreat him at the last moment? Your call, but both can be wrong, and both can be right. Gotta give the veterans some way to stand out other than dodging other demigods, after all.

-Staggering Attacks. Like dervish of doom, only on a larger area, much less damage, and stuns enemies it hits. Which do you use? depends on whether killing some or stopping them all is more important.

-Unnamed Ultimate.(EDIT) The god parries all incoming attacks and ripostes, reflecting all incoming melee damage up to a certain threshold (maybe a logarithmic scale or something nolinear like that). Lets him dominate anything foolish enough to fight up close while he's parrying.

-Your ideas here

Item ideas:

-Magical wards (let you keep casters from toasting you too badly)

-Swords that give you better rate of attack so you can keep up to date in damage dealing.

-Your ideas here

And that's my idea. Good? Bad? Ugly (I mean, seriously! the dude has six arms after all!)?

+19 Karma | 19 Replies
August 30, 2008 2:10:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

as long as he's not like that jedi robot in star wars, it's fine with me

August 30, 2008 2:18:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol, true, I forgot darth asthma. No, I was thinking more along the lines of the indian god whose name I can't remember right now (and wikipedia's being no help, the first three I looked at all have four arms, so it's probably a misrememberance of shiva or something)... But I definitely didn't have weezy the sith in mind.

August 30, 2008 2:21:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah, too many hindu gods with heaps of arms

anyway, i got some inspiration from this to make up my own demigod

August 30, 2008 2:29:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cool! Hope we give the devs some good ideas!

Just hope yours doesn't beat mine out for a spot or something  (nah, it's cool, if it does, it's better, and I can always mod this guy in anyway)

Do you have any ideas to make him better?

EDIT:

Oh, and making him based off Kali (with the implied gender change) would be pretty cool too, just make it so that (s)he's reminiscent of Kali. Why is it that I feel a need to play around with gender stereotypes and make all the fighters female? Also, doing it that way would mean that my idea juxtaposes pretty nicely with what we know of sedna. Same category of imagery, but almost polar opposites.

MORE EDIT:

Oh dearie me that was a lot of text, and I really just showed off my OCD posting skills there, didn't I?

August 30, 2008 2:51:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

because 6 armed people tend to wear very little clothes?

hmm

i'd change his/her ultimate to a short duration, dodge/block every attack and multiply his/her damage

basically an unstoppable killing machine for a few seconds

either that or have him/her reflect every melee attack back for a longer duration, basically making it the ubertank

August 30, 2008 2:59:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

because 6 armed people tend to wear very little clothes?

Damn! I've been caught! Sorry, that was off topic a bit. Nah, it's just the best fit, and I've always been one to ascribe way more in the way of motive to myself than I actually possess.

i'd change his/her ultimate to a short duration, dodge/block every attack and multiply his/her damage

basically an unstoppable killing machine for a few seconds

I like!

either that or have him/her reflect every melee attack back for a longer duration, basically making it the ubertank

Again, I like!

Now I'm torn on the ultimate. Mine was kind of a copout. I like the second one, because parrying and riposteing in rapid succession is awesome, and that's how I see implementing that. The first, though is also pretty appealing, make him/her into a giant ball of doom. I think I like the second better, because that's not similar to any of the lesser abilities, so it really feels unique and ultimate. Good one.

EDIT: picked the second suggestion, love it. Thanks man!

August 30, 2008 3:26:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

plain dps passive buffs is kinda boring..

August 30, 2008 3:28:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

there should be a demigod with a magic forcefield that just walks around blasting stuff with random spells......

wow i just realised how random that was

August 30, 2008 3:28:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i don't see any passive dps buffs in there innociv.....

August 30, 2008 9:51:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Me neither. I assume you're talking about abilities? (S)He's got a AoE attack, a AoE stun (which could be anything else), a single attack for large damage, a movement skill for tactical advantage and a passive ability that reduces certain kinds of damage.

If you're talking about the items, then oh well, they are kind of boring, I was tired. Do you have any ideas? I'll try to come up with some, but I don't know the format they're taking yet, so I may just wait till beta for that.

Anyway, what do you think of the rest of the idea?

August 30, 2008 1:37:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As long as we get some more (well thought out/balanced) demigods out during/after beta and for release...

Yes.

August 30, 2008 3:28:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

er no i meant a hero that is mostly passive buffs, or just buffs, and is mostly just dps'ing to kill.  It looks like only two fo his skills weren't buffs, whether passive or limited time.  OR I'm interpreting wrong.

August 30, 2008 5:37:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I understand what you mean now, it's amazing what a difference a nap can make. Anyway, most of what he does is dps, but the abilities use it in very different ways (and honestly have a very similar effect to most magic), and none are passive except for the one I noted, which is rather active as passive abilities go. Here's the list of explanations:

1) delivers solid AoE damage to cut down a bunch of weak creeps, and maybe open a hole in the enemy wavefront. Basically the same as a AoE fireball, just with no range.

2) is designed to be wasteful against any but the strongest enemy, because if you kill your target, then the last few attacks' damage is wasted. It's roughly equivalent to a giant DoT fireball, but it's a flurry of attacks for coolness reasons. Because every attack becomes steadily more powerful as he lands attacks, it works to give him a way to carve past a single large unit to start killing minotaurs.

3) is a passive effect, but the torchbearer gets one, so it's probably a common thing. This is designed not to buff his hp, but to let him be very weak to missiles and still have enough (effective) health to get stuck in.

4) is an AoE status attack designed to help him keep large mobs off balance and at his mercy and also for a cunning player to open a window to retreat in.

5) lets him buy some time where he doesn't take any damage and can make a heavy hitter pay for his sluggishness and turn the number of attacks all the enemy melee can throw at him into a lot of pain for them.

Do you think some more status attacks to do similar things would be good? For example, I could replace #2 with a "defense break" attack that instead of doing damage, lowers the enemy's defenses greatly, and would still be limited to a single unit. Actually, I rather like that idea, because instead of him doing solid damage against his worst type of opponent, he can use the numerical advantage he creates with his other attacks to great effect. Does this sound better, and are there any other effects where the same role can be fulfilled with an interesting status effect?

August 31, 2008 1:02:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Remember only 4 active abilities (one of which tends to be an ultimate) Also all the passives have some artsy way of showing it off (the rooks huge damage bonuses give glowing weapons)

August 31, 2008 1:08:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, only 4? I think I've got that just right then

I'll try to come up with a way of showing the passive. Maybe motion blurs when he's in combat?

Also, what do you think?

August 31, 2008 1:26:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not a bad idea, but I read 5 abilities, and you can have more passives (and I don't belive the torch bearer has a passive, I Think he just has 8 abilites (one switches his mode temporarily to fire.))

August 31, 2008 2:46:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Afaik there is real-time motion blur that is always on.  So if he attacks fast there will be motion blur, unless it's by-object only.

August 31, 2008 4:14:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think thats just the 'mode' he's in, I don't remember reading a passive.

August 31, 2008 7:08:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One of the abilities is passive, so that's working there, I'm trying to figure out whether he really needs another passive ability. Probably not, his is pretty good as is, but i'd love a good idea for it. Torchbearer seems to be an exception, so I'm probably pretty safe not emulating him. I can't seem to come up with a good effect for the passive now... maybe just give him an extra long stylized motion blur so you get some really neat motion trails?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001110   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.