The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Impulse - Phase II Released

Stardock's Digital Distrubtion Platform

By on August 27, 2008 3:35:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod ForumsExternal Link

Stardock is excited to announce that “phase two” of its digital download platform, Impulse, has begun and all updates, new games and software applications will soon be live.  Concurrent with the new games and software applications, Impulse additions now see a refreshed user interface and a major new set of developer features called ImpulseReactor. Stardock’s recent release, The Political Machine 2008 will be the first game to utilize features of ImpulseReactor, and the upcoming Demigod will incorporate the features which consist of the highly anticipated match-making feature, cloud computing, rankings, achievements, multiplayer, NAT negotiation, and more.

Phase two of Impulse also adds the ability for users to install and update third-party and freeware programs that are available via Impulse. This makes the transfer of the catalogue of programs installed on a user’s machine extraordinarily simple from machine to machine as it’s all centrally located on Impulse. Phase two has already addressed user feedback and incorporates significantly faster load times, downloads, a smart queue option and a smarter updating process which exponentially decreases processing time for updates.

All new titles and software applications are now available at www.impulsedriven.com

+458 Karma | 29 Replies
August 27, 2008 6:22:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now the question is, how long 'till you start distributing the beta through it?

(wtfsmilies)

August 27, 2008 9:21:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just downloaded Impulse and it is amazing!

It says Demigod is a product that can be registered but you need a product registration number and the last time I checked there wasn't one even for the people that pre-ordered? If I'm wrong please correct me.

Thanks.

August 28, 2008 12:34:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont' like the new color scheme . Need custom skinning!

Srshifke: They haven't sent out the keys yet. They will send them out after PAX.

August 28, 2008 1:48:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What phase will make it not require IE7?..

August 28, 2008 1:57:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think they said that they would support custom stuff (such as skins) later on, but don't quote me on that. You will get the registration number through your e-mail when the beta releases.

August 28, 2008 6:50:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Srshifke: They haven't sent out the keys yet. They will send them out after PAX.

Thanks.

August 28, 2008 10:15:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What phase will make it not require IE7?
The phase after you stop caring.

August 28, 2008 12:11:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It using IE7 is completel ass, I now have shit on my computer that i never actually use simply to view the IRC portion because without it, it wouldn't let me. I don't click on links in IRC so i don't care ti it auto connects with IE7 to the link.

I'm withg innociv on this one, when can we not use IE7

August 28, 2008 12:16:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Given that gecko isn't a viable option and IE6 is so old and bug-ridden as to make it more expensive to support than it's worth (it's now under 10% market share), how is IE7 not the most sensible choice? If you're running windows, it's in your interest to keep IE up to date anyway whether you use it or not (I don't either), for security reasons.

August 28, 2008 12:18:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As far as I know, Impulse requires IE7 to perform downloads as well. Also, not upgrading IE leaves major holes on your computer that can be exploited by viruses. It's a bad idea not to upgrade.

August 28, 2008 12:48:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hopefully we will be able to play online with Demigod soon with the new Impulse out.

August 28, 2008 2:05:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why can't it check to see if we have firefox/opera installed and use firefox/opera if we do?..

What about for people that have IE6 removed from their computers?

Isn't firefox around 50% market share? (at least when it comes to traffic to game-related websites)

August 28, 2008 2:19:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why can't it check to see if we have firefox/opera installed and use firefox/opera if we do?
It would take a lot of extra work to make it compatible with the other browsers when they could be focusing on something else. I wouldn't mind it, but I don't expect it.

IE is a major component of Windows nowadays. I don't think removing it would be a good idea to begin with. Keeping it updated is another story though.

Isn't firefox around 50% market share? (at least when it comes to traffic to game-related websites)
Impulse is for more than just games. And FF might not have that large a share even in the gaming oriented sites. Not sure though.

August 28, 2008 2:58:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why can't it check to see if we have firefox/opera installed and use firefox/opera if we do?..

Put simplest, it just doesn't work that way. Gecko would have to be integrated into impulse at the deepest levels.

I'd expect people that insistent upon removing things they don't use would probably object to Impulse on general principle anyway.

August 28, 2008 3:57:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just curious- why haven't you looked at integrating Gecko instead of using IE to render?  If Impulse/Stardock ever wanted to go cross-platform in the future, having a browser that wasn't OS-specific would allow for that.

Also, IE 8 will be coming out in November.  I assume that would mean people will need to update Impulse, right?

August 28, 2008 4:03:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

why haven't you looked at integrating Gecko instead of using IE to render?
Stardock is a Windows company.  Every build of Windows has IE installed as default.  Why make it any harder?

August 28, 2008 5:06:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can we have some details on ImpulseReactor?

Sammual

August 28, 2008 10:41:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Gecko is cross-platform.  Windows is losing market share.  Making Impulse compatible on clients other than Windows would open up markets to linux, OS X, etc.

I totally understand why you use IE, I'm just looking into the future and wonder if other platforms will become viable gaming platforms and would hate Stardock to miss out.

August 29, 2008 9:28:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Making Impulse compatible on clients other than Windows would open up markets to linux, OS X
Linux and Mac is a VERY small market.  And with the linux market there are issues trying to sell any software (the money is in support of free software).

August 29, 2008 12:37:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also, IE 8 will be coming out in November.  I assume that would mean people will need to update Impulse, right?

Not especailly. Impulse uses an embedded version of IE--which version that is is up to the machine it's on. AFAIK the v7 requirement is mostly based on the websites dropping IE6 compatibility since it's such a pain to do. Some people have even already used IE8 with Impulse.

Gecko has been looked into and dismissed as not being a viable option due to the work involved (and other issues) vs minimal benefits. For one, we still have to support IE on the sites either way and the program itself is still in .NET anyway.

August 29, 2008 1:49:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't see what's wrong with IE7. Sure, FireFox beats it by a mile, but M$phobia is actually the main cause why people dislike it. In the browser sense it's really quite alright.

August 29, 2008 3:30:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IE8 actually looks pretty nice.

August 29, 2008 7:35:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did you guys put in the just for Kitkun?

August 29, 2008 9:21:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Doubt it. I think these icons were decided upon (Or at least made) long before I started posting. Besides, it just says : fox : if you hover the pointer over it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000421   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.