The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Question about gameplay :)

Comparing to DotA :O Oh No!!

By Posted August 17, 2008 17:52:02
Now i am a frequent DotA player (amateur league and pub games as well) And i heard this game was based off DotA. Now i am quite aware that it wont be a DotA clone so dont make any assumptions.

Anyways i was wondering if Demigod will consist of quick small games with fast progression (See: DotA) or slower progression with One Demi god leveling up and buying items over MULTIPLE games?

The easiest way to describe the first one is DotA. You start a game, pick a new hero from scratch try to level and buy items to ultimately win that game, then you make a new game, start a new hero, buy new items etc.

The second way is kind of like Rakion, or Gunz. You make a hero and join a game to hopefully win that games objectives. in the process you level and gain money. But when you "win" you can use your money to upgrade your hero and then join a new game as a stronger hero (instead of starting over like in dota)

If these are unclear, i will gladly try to re explain mroe clearly. If you understand what i mean and have a better or different way to explain it then that could help new readers. If the answer to my question is unknown to public or neither of these (Something new maybe?) then let me know Thanks

0 Karma 45 Replies 2 Referrals
August 17, 2008 17:54:22
Fast progression in one game.
August 17, 2008 17:59:44
We really haven't been told, one way or the other (unless I've missed something). Fast progression in one game makes sense for one game style, where you reset your "progression" every time you start; but on the other hand they've also promised (as in we get both) a "career" mode where you keep your progression from game to game.
August 17, 2008 18:08:16
Personally, and im sure you all care so much But I would love to see that career mode. Working hard to make your character truely unique over time is something i really feel the satisfaction in
August 17, 2008 18:32:23
Most of the time (including ranked) you will have a fast, single-game progression. There will also be a persistant mode, however, where you can play as a particular Demigod, level up over time, and try to help that Demigod get a place in the Pantheon.
August 17, 2008 18:54:01
Personally, and im sure you all care so much But I would love to see that career mode. Working hard to make your character truely unique over time is something i really feel the satisfaction in

why when there is only a few items and skills?..
Doesn't fit. Doesn't mesh. Isn't compatable. etc etc etc. People keep saying that but I don't see how it'd work with skills and such designed for fast progression.
August 17, 2008 19:14:23
innociv, it's been confirmed, it exists. We don't know any details. I'm sure GPG has something up their sleeves.
August 17, 2008 19:34:15
why when there is only a few items and skills?..Doesn't fit. Doesn't mesh. Isn't compatable. etc etc etc. People keep saying that but I don't see how it'd work with skills and such designed for fast progression.

Well the design i had in my mind would have more skills and item choices etc...Then again i dont really know how this is going to unfold. But ive been playing DotA for so long that another spawn of it (fast games/progression) seems like it would have to out do DotA by so much to be considered "as" good. Although on the other hand maybe the other ideas and elements they bring it will make it that much more enjoyable that a fast progression will still be just as fun

August 17, 2008 20:33:00
Doesn't fit. Doesn't mesh. Isn't compatable. etc etc etc. People keep saying that but I don't see how it'd work with skills and such designed for fast progression.

Instead of using a linear progression, use a exponential progression set up to grow fast at first, then slower later.
August 18, 2008 04:20:22
innociv, it's been confirmed, it exists. We don't know any details. I'm sure GPG has something up their sleeves.

No we actually have no idea how the persistence will work.

You're assuming things..

Last I heard, a month ago, was that you would be able to carry CASTLE UPGRADES with you from game to game on non-ranked.
August 18, 2008 09:19:32
August 18, 2008 09:30:43

True; but its existence is confirmed.
August 18, 2008 11:05:30
Since they said matches last 20 minutes on average, fast progression is a given.
August 18, 2008 12:45:05
Since they said matches last 20 minutes on average, fast progression is a given.

Unless of course you're playing in the career mode
August 18, 2008 12:54:45

20 to 50 minutes, actually, so it is a little longer than 20
August 18, 2008 20:59:46
Do moar research https://forums.demigodthegame.com/318945

Good job linking to something that doesn't confirm what you believe.

I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, I'm just saying that's not confirmation that you will have a gamemode where you level slowly and keep your levels. The link just as much is confirmation of what I said.
August 19, 2008 03:07:54
You don't keep your levels. Our persistent model is ... something else!
August 19, 2008 04:39:26

Can you tell us in which phase this will go beta?
And I assume that any ladder / persistence data will be resetted when beta finished?
August 19, 2008 09:26:59
Good job linking to something that doesn't confirm what you believe.I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, I'm just saying that's not confirmation that you will have a gamemode where you level slowly and keep your levels. The link just as much is confirmation of what I said.

L2Read

What is also cool is that outside these individual skirmishes these Demigods grow in power

Let me put it like this: Demigod is aiming to solve some of the most basic problems in on-line gaming: Because your Demigod gets better in a persistent universe, experienced players have an incentive to keep with their hero and its stats rather than "smurfing".

Why not allow the option of someone who is really good at the game with a high level Demigod face off against 3 or 4 opponents online?

Of course, players can still opt to the traditional on-line skirmishes where everything starts on the same playing field. But with Demigod, players will have more options.

=Persistant mode. And we aren't talking about keeping our levels from the individual matches, we are talking about leveling up between games in general.
August 19, 2008 10:22:26
=Persistant mode. And we aren't talking about keeping our levels from the individual matches, we are talking about leveling up between games in general.

well..

Looks like Tyo confirmed how I interpreted it was right then.

Brad is the President or CEO, or something(or both?) of Stardock.
I'm sure he has tons of influence as the head of the company Publishing, and he's a real cool guy, but he isn't the designer of the game..
Brad thought some things would be cool to have in Sins of a Solar Empire, but it didn't have them. Him thinking something would be cool doesn't mean they'll happen necessarily, whether it's a good idea or not, AFAIK.
Balancing 1 higher level demigod to fight 3-4 other ones is hard to balance and will pretty much no matter how you do it make the loser(s) feel cheater. It's been tried in lots of games. Doesn't it sound cool? YEAH! How about we have the mod tools to add that in ourselves?! Better solution! Just give us solid arena gameplay to attract a high amount of players to the core game to play our mods!

I think Scathis had a pretty perfect vision of how the game should be. I don't know Tyo as much since he just took Scathis place, but I'm very confident in him too..
August 19, 2008 13:10:18
*headdesk*

You said there is no persistant mode. Brad and Tyo both said there was. Brad and Tyo are making the game. You are not. Thus, you are wrong.
August 19, 2008 15:07:50
NO I DIDN'T.
You're assuming things..

Last I heard, a month ago, was that you would be able to carry CASTLE UPGRADES with you from game to game on non-ranked.

August 19, 2008 15:44:15
Not knowing how it will work doesn't mean that there woudln't be any imho... Expect if you consider that the only "real" persistance would be Demigods keeping their skills from one game to another; but hey, there can be many other ways to do one "persistant" mode.

Ok, that may not be up to your(our?) hopes but still, better than nothing.

Smog.

Edit: Meh; I should learn to write english properly.
August 19, 2008 16:58:15
a silly question: i don't like multiplayer games... has Demigod a good single player mode?
August 19, 2008 17:09:37
Not knowing how it will work doesn't mean that there woudln't be any imho... Expect if you consider that the only "real" persistance would be Demigods keeping their skills from one game to another; but hey, there can be many other ways to do one "persistant" mode.Ok, that may not be up to your(our?) hopes but still, better than nothing.Smog.Edit: Meh; I should learn to write english properly.

Yes.. that is what I was saying.

I did not, anywhere, say there won't be persistence.

All I said is that it WON'T be leveling up slowly and carrying it over.
Which is what Tyo, said, which is GOOD as the way the "progression" is in Demigod is DESIGNED TO BE FAST.

Imagine Playing Diablo2 where you leveled up EVERY TWEENTY SECONDS. You'd be spending more time picking skill point assignments and speccing your stats than actually fighting!
It's the opposite situation for Demigod and it's why it wouldn't work!
August 19, 2008 17:56:41
Yes.. that is what I was saying.

I did not, anywhere, say there won't be persistence.

All I said is that it WON'T be leveling up slowly and carrying it over.
Which is what Tyo, said, which is GOOD as the way the "progression" is in Demigod is DESIGNED TO BE FAST.
Woops. Looks like I'd better read the entire thread instead of the the last tree post before answering. My apologies.

Smog.
Stardock Forums v1.5.3141.15280
© 1995-2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.
All times are EST. The time is now 02:25:07
Server Load Time: 00:00:00   Page Render Time:
?? 2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.

Gas Powered Games and Demigod are trademarks of Gas Powered Games Corp. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are property of their respective owners.
Stardock and the Stardock logo are registered trademarks of Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.