The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Environment Art

By on July 31, 2008 1:48:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey all. I’m one half of the environment art team working on Demigod.  I have to mention at this point what a pleasure it is to work with such a dedicated and talented team.  The character work you have seen is tough to keep up with.  But Audrey and I are doing our best to create unique and exciting environments that will be as impactful as the other visuals in the game.  I tend to look at the environments in Demigod as another character.  Each one comes with its own challenges and rewards.  Our goal is to push to the limit the bounds of our fantastic universe and while at the same time immersing the player in a viable surrounding.   I think we are creating something pretty unique and special. 

The concept to fulfillment pipeline follows closely the process that Tim and Nate talked about with characters.  Either we go to the designers with an idea or they come to us with their needs.  From there we bounce ideas around until a vision forms.  Jessica, our level designer works on addressing game play dynamics, pacing, and layout.  All of these are tested and evaluated before it ever comes to art.  Making sure the game is exciting and meets design goals on the front end makes our lives much easier, cutting down on revisions and rework.  Once design is happy, the sky is the limit.  We are given free reign within the context of the game (which, frankly, is pretty broad) to create really fantastic stuff.  It’s really fun to see how creative we can get with a mythical “future fantasy” universe.  Nate is a great concept artist to work with.  One of the best things about my job here at GPG to be able to collaborate with him the other artists and be a part of that process.  

Once we have a solid concept we quickly mock up a “white box” version and start iterating.   From there it is all about fulfilling that vision artistically and technically.  We also work very closely with our graphics engineer, Ivan, who looks after our needs and makes sure we don’t get out of hand.   He’s very willing and capable of making our wishes come true no matter how crazy the idea.  At this point in the process we have a pretty fun tool chest to work with.   

We of course can’t give away all our little tidbits in the first journal entry so I’ll stop here for now. 

Audrey and I will be writing more in the future about environments, and we hope you will enjoy playing in our world as much as we are enjoying making it.

Best,

Ian Walker

+1 Karma | 27 Replies
August 6, 2008 12:57:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I think everyone will really enjoy the variety of game play available in our maps. The designers are doing a great job of mixing it up so there is something for all.
August 7, 2008 2:40:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Actually I was thinking more like a control point system, where everyone's fighting to hold locations on a map. While you hold it, you can choose to warp between other points you own (including your main base). This way you can have a massive map, but not be bogged down with having to walk for 5 minutes just to get back to where you died.

The big advantage to this is that it emphasizes the importance of area control. Sure, your team could kill the other team up and down the map, but if they happen to get a control point on your flank, where you aren't looking, a couple of generals could lead a small army in to decimate your base. Consider it another game type maybe over the standard DotA "kill the widget" style game play.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000110   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.