The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Environment Art

By on July 31, 2008 1:48:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey all. I’m one half of the environment art team working on Demigod.  I have to mention at this point what a pleasure it is to work with such a dedicated and talented team.  The character work you have seen is tough to keep up with.  But Audrey and I are doing our best to create unique and exciting environments that will be as impactful as the other visuals in the game.  I tend to look at the environments in Demigod as another character.  Each one comes with its own challenges and rewards.  Our goal is to push to the limit the bounds of our fantastic universe and while at the same time immersing the player in a viable surrounding.   I think we are creating something pretty unique and special. 

The concept to fulfillment pipeline follows closely the process that Tim and Nate talked about with characters.  Either we go to the designers with an idea or they come to us with their needs.  From there we bounce ideas around until a vision forms.  Jessica, our level designer works on addressing game play dynamics, pacing, and layout.  All of these are tested and evaluated before it ever comes to art.  Making sure the game is exciting and meets design goals on the front end makes our lives much easier, cutting down on revisions and rework.  Once design is happy, the sky is the limit.  We are given free reign within the context of the game (which, frankly, is pretty broad) to create really fantastic stuff.  It’s really fun to see how creative we can get with a mythical “future fantasy” universe.  Nate is a great concept artist to work with.  One of the best things about my job here at GPG to be able to collaborate with him the other artists and be a part of that process.  

Once we have a solid concept we quickly mock up a “white box” version and start iterating.   From there it is all about fulfilling that vision artistically and technically.  We also work very closely with our graphics engineer, Ivan, who looks after our needs and makes sure we don’t get out of hand.   He’s very willing and capable of making our wishes come true no matter how crazy the idea.  At this point in the process we have a pretty fun tool chest to work with.   

We of course can’t give away all our little tidbits in the first journal entry so I’ll stop here for now. 

Audrey and I will be writing more in the future about environments, and we hope you will enjoy playing in our world as much as we are enjoying making it.

Best,

Ian Walker

+1 Karma | 27 Replies
July 31, 2008 2:08:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Thank you for your journal entry. The environments we have seen so far are amazing. Keep up the good work and we look forward to experiencing it first hand in beta.
July 31, 2008 2:16:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Always fun reading these journals, looking forward to more of them!
July 31, 2008 2:31:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

All of the artwork for the game that we've seen so far looks great and unique, and the cool thing is we'll only be seeing more of it

We of course can’t give away all our little tidbits in the first journal entry so I’ll stop here for now.

Meanie.

July 31, 2008 2:36:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
From what i have seen so far, good job! I hope to see more of the same in the Beta and of course the full game
July 31, 2008 2:36:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Woah, someone has unleased the Journal Genie.

I don't know of Moore's Law can cover the rate of acceleration that these are getting published at.

Regardless, keep them coming.
July 31, 2008 2:54:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Usually I don't care about graphics much but Demigod has a real cool art style even nicer than Starcraft1 (don't think thats ironic, I love its timeless design).

So is the context of a future fantasy universe broad enough to see a M.C. Escher like level?

I promise I will buy an extra copy if there is one
July 31, 2008 4:43:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Sounds great

But we need more of the tidbits!  
July 31, 2008 5:31:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I can neither confirm or deny the existence of tidbits.
July 31, 2008 5:33:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BLASPHEMY!!!!

Only the most high and mighty Lead Designer may use the words of power!
July 31, 2008 5:42:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How about big bits?
July 31, 2008 5:57:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Big _its?
July 31, 2008 6:03:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Big _its?

sh
July 31, 2008 6:33:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Woah! a new journal every second day or so
So when will we get to see some photos from "inside the studio"?
July 31, 2008 6:48:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In the journal post it says he can't give away his tidbits, so they must exist!
July 31, 2008 6:53:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
In the journal post it says he can't give away his tidbits, so they must exist!

They can't give them away if they don't exist.
July 31, 2008 7:29:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
First off I must say that I love the levels we've seen so far, and I mostly (pre)bought the game for the diversity of the playing environments (more design wise perhaps, but I still love the verity of aesthetics.)

Anyways, as a custom map maker I'd like to know what other software packages we might have to use to make our own custom environments? (i.e. what software do you guys use) as well as if you know (or even have the power to confirm or deny >.<) the existence of a possible mapmaker? (I'm betting you can't answer that though)

Also, which was your favorite map (that we've seen <.<) and why? (somebody's gotta ask it)

Finally I have a couple more ideas I'd like to throw in:
Underwater (shallow or very deep), Giant massive mystical stronghold, lightning/electricity, moving (gears? flying?), space (the rings of a planet?), magical (magical force fields are the floors?), weather/time cycles (maybe with game play ramifications)...

Sorry, I love making maps and demigod has so many possibilities it boggles my mind.
July 31, 2008 8:59:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
From the screens i gather the maps are big but not HUGE. Will there be epic maps in which the 2 demigods who are playing wont actually meet for some time. Camps of monsters will be spread across the map for your demigod to defeat and gain some experience and new spells before the 2 demigods (or however many are playing) actually meet in battle?
July 31, 2008 9:43:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I look forward to picking my jaw up off the floor at many of the future levels.

Don't wait too long to release your tidbits. They grow weak in captivity--only in the wild will they flourish.
July 31, 2008 10:33:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Thanks for the questions Mooey, I'll do what I can to answer them.

On the technical side we use 3ds Max as our main package, but we export into a Granny format for the final assets. Other programs are incorporated as needed -- I'm fond of Silo for quick base modeling and zbrush for normal generation. From there all the art is piped into the Supreme Commander engine and map editor for lighting, unit, structure placement, etc.

My favorite map is still the "waterfall" map that you have all seen..it is well balanced, polished, and really fun to play. Audrey did a fantastic job putting it together from early stages of development and the amount of work she's put into it really shows. It's EPIC!

Your ideas are great..you are gonna love this game.

Mighty-MJS -- I'll let some of the design team journals answer your questions .

July 31, 2008 11:12:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Thank you for the quick response!

And yay! I've worked with most of those so happy happy!

And as far as my ideas you can have 'em. (one less map I'm compelled to make when the map maker/game comes out!)

p.s. My other post about map making in general

p.s.s. (I think I've all ready had enough questions answered, but:) how powerful is the map maker at current? (if you have the power to confirm or deny its existence that is >.<)
August 1, 2008 2:56:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
All the maps I have seen so far really convey a sense of awe and power. Looking forward to more of your and Audrey's good work...
August 4, 2008 3:12:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Indeed, I've found all of the levels I've seen to be quite stunning. But I can't help but agree with Mighty-NJS' question on truly epic sized levels. Will there be levels that may take several minutes to amble across? I mean, Supreme Commander gives you humongous landscapes (albeit with mostly terrain, significantly cheaper to render than bridges, waterfalls, etc.), so the engine should be capable of something really large scale.
August 4, 2008 5:09:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Several minutes to amble across..? Not if you want the game to be between 20 to 40 minutes in length.

Think about when you die? You've made it all the way over to enemy territory. You get killed, and put in timeout for a specified amount of time. Then you finally respawn and have to spend another 2 minutes walking to the other side of the map....? Yeah, you get, there, oops you died again. Another 3 or 4 minutes before you get back in the action.

Even if the creeps spawn in waves, they tend to get held up in a conflict. You will never have 1 wave in conflict ahead of another wave in conflict (unless paths cross each other).

No thanks. I'd rather the majority of the playing time be used in fighting, not traveling. Even WOW battlegrounds don't take 2 minutes to cross and there are up to 80 players at one time in those.
August 4, 2008 5:44:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Though remember that there are items and abilities which can help you get where your going faster, for example in the hands-on article the guy describes a ability which allowed him to teleport! (not saying I support huge epic maps, I don't but I am saying there are ways to speed up travel)
August 4, 2008 6:19:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
ah yes, porting home to safety I believe. I'm sure there will be demi's that can port into battle... balance first of course.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.