The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Character Art

"Pixels, Polygons, and Milk Tea: It's Business Time"

By on July 28, 2008 2:32:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I represent roughly half of the Demigod character modeling crew.  I say “roughly” because, while Matt Dudley and I are currently the only ones tasked with modeling and texturing characters at this stage, Nate has also had his hands in some of the earlier modeling work.  (Furthermore, I believe that Matt is an inch or two taller than me, making me just slightly less than half of the character crew, if you go by height.)  To the point, the Demigod art team is an extremely small one considering the project scope, and easily the leanest lineup I’ve ever been a part of.

Beyond the obvious financial benefits of a small dev team, our ability to know what’s going on in the areas of design and engineering and our ease and freedom in communicating ideas amongst each other is amazing.  As Nate has already stated, the entire team participates in routine play testing of the game and everyone can have a direct and meaningful impact on its evolution.

I am fortunate to be a part of a project that has been so well planned and executed, and to work amidst such skilled and experienced people.  As a bonus, the concentration of wit and humor per capita at GPG is extremely high, which makes for lots of good times.  Yes, I do love my job and the fine folks I get to work with, and I take note daily that I am a part of something great.

The Demigod project and a surprising amount of the art were already well under way when I joined the Demigod team in early January of 2008.  The standard of quality was set pretty high, as the “waterfall” map and many of the characters you see in the trailer and in the earlier screenshots were nearly complete.  The art pipeline was well thought out and established, which made it easy for me to get acclimated and start creating.

The character concepts (all done by Nate or Steve) are expertly done and very concisely detailed, leaving very little guesswork when charging forward with the modeling.  I have worked with Nate in the past, so a solid rapport and a kindred sense of silliness were already in place.  I really liked where he was going with the art style.  It felt mythical, unrestrained, innovative and fresh, and there was a nice balance between uniqueness and familiarity, and I was pretty jazzed to start creating a Demigod!  Creating a Demigod…I should probably write home about that!

My biggest obstacle initially was some unfamiliarity with ZBrush, which I hadn’t touched in a couple of years.  When getting acquainted with ZBrush, the “first date” is often not so great, but with some dedicated courtship, a meaningful relationship will eventually blossom!  Thankfully, Matt is very technically knowledgeable, easy-going, and was really helpful in getting me up to speed with the features of version 3, our primary tool for generating the highly detailed normal maps we’re making for our characters.  I’ve learned a lot and I am especially glad to be working with him.  Matt shares his milk tea with us.  It is good.

I’d like to talk more about ZBrush or critical decisions we’ve made regarding our character art pipeline, but for now I’ll wrap this up and invite questions or comments anyone may have about our character art creation process for Demigod.

-Tim Cox

+2 Karma | 72 Replies
July 29, 2008 12:10:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The "whitebox" process begins with a fairly rough model which establishes the basic form, proportions, and initial scale of the character (no UV-mapping yet) which is rigged up and exported to the game with a complete set of animations (which may also be fairly rough). Seeing the model in motion within the game allows us to spot strengths and weaknesses which are addressed when the model is later finalized, mapped, textured, rigged, and exported again. Iteration still continues if needed to the model, texture, scale, and animations as needed.

For the most part, character development has gone like this (in special cases the order can get a little mixed up):

1. Design and art sit together and spitball a character design. Design might come to this meeting with a general need, like "we need a guy who does a lot of melee damage." Similarly, art might come to this meeting with a cool-looking design. Usually, the thing that comes out of this meeting doesn't resemble the idea that went into it. For example, we started one of these meetings thinking there should be an ugly ogre-thing that rides around on a palanquin that is carried by haggard slaves. That one turned into the Queen of Thorns. It was a wild ride.

2. Art goes off and starts iterating through some concepts, periodically touching base with design, who are putting together the attributes and abilities for the character.

3. Once everybody agrees that the character has some potential, a whitebox model goes in (often with either recycled or temp animations), and we start playing with the character in game. This is where the balancing starts.

4. Art then starts a final model, and final animations begin soon after the model has its UV coordinates. Both are often tweaked for months as the need arises.

5. Once the final model is in place, the effects team replaces all the ugly programmer effects with the Hollywood-ready hotness that you saw in the trailer.

6. Tweaking, tweaking, tweaking. We sometimes go back and redo an entire character that isn't working quite right, we play with scale, we add and subtract abilities -- this is simultaneously the most important and least fun stage.

7. Miller time.

OK, this thread alone has made me a life time fan of Gas Powered Games (and Stardock is getting mega bonus points).

First, the fact that these designers are actually taking time to participate in the forums is amazing. Too many developers go into lock down mode and there is one PR guy that handles all of the interaction with the masses. I for one really appreciate the feedback you guys give back to us. Thank you.

Second, I am really encouraged by the way the game is being developed. It sounds like its a lean staff with alot of interaction. None of this, throwing designs over the partition stuff. New characters are being brought in based on gameplay (whitebox) rather than having a rendered model that has to be included because you've invested that so much time into the modeling.

Finally, a quick question. 2 actually,
How many Demigods are ready for Beta?
How many Demigods are projected for final Release?
July 29, 2008 12:22:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
spooky
July 29, 2008 1:07:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Are any of you guys planning on actually playing Demigod online (ranked even ) when the beta/retail is released? And I mean with recognizable accounts, not smurf ones.
July 29, 2008 1:26:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Are any of you guys planning on actually playing Demigod online (ranked even ) when the beta/retail is released? And I mean with recognizable accounts, not smurf ones.

Sure am.
July 29, 2008 1:39:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I mean GPG/Stardock employees. Unless you are one?
July 29, 2008 1:46:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
It has been said that to utter her true name is to invite an untimely and horrific death...

So asking about her age and weight is OK then?   
July 30, 2008 11:39:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Of course... I'm a big fan of RTS games in general and have had the pleasure of developing a couple. This one is special and I'm ready to play. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we'll be in there.
July 30, 2008 1:54:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Of course... I'm a big fan of RTS games in general and have had the pleasure of developing a couple. This one is special and I'm ready to play. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we'll be in there.

I'll be there for sure!
July 30, 2008 2:24:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I'm just curious, but who are you guys?
July 30, 2008 2:51:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I think all the GPG guys need to bug Stardock to give you some cool forum logos, like they and Ironclad have.

So we can at least easily tell who's with GPG and who isn't
July 30, 2008 4:18:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I may be going out on a limb on this one, but I'm pretty sure onecattledeathbovine is Ian Walker, our lead Environment Artist.

I'm Nate. Timpulse is Tim Cox, character artist extraordinaire. Others will likely be posting in the days to come (and maybe even some engineers!).
July 30, 2008 4:38:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Who is audzilla?
July 30, 2008 5:43:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Chuckled at how that fairy thing was nearly nude. Why not the whole nine yards?

Anyway, from the video very cool looking creatures. It was only the fairy thing that I found to be too generic and dull.
July 30, 2008 5:52:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Audzilla is also an environment artist. You've seen a lot of her awesome work already.
July 30, 2008 9:26:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I'm just curious, but who are you guys?

I'm Ian. Audrey (Audzilla) and I are environment artists here on Demigod. More posts to come.
July 30, 2008 9:35:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
In that case, I'd like to say you guys did a kickass job on that lava arena we got a glimpse of in the trailer. Not that the others aren't great, I'm just a sucker for the volcanic stuff.
July 30, 2008 9:55:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Thanks Anatar. All the credit for what you've seen goes straight to Audzilla. Shes the artist behind the maps you've seen so far. I'll be posting a journal entry in the near future so stay tuned.
July 30, 2008 10:21:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I don't think we ever get un-tuned from the DG Journals forum
July 31, 2008 9:23:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Rock on dev team.

Anyone else notice the increased fever that is arising in the forums?

A month ago, there would be a couple new posts a day on the Demigod Forums. Now, there are several posts and new threads coming up every day. It used to be a breeze keeping up with all the comments, but now I guess I'll have to miss out on more work
July 31, 2008 9:25:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I guess I'll have to miss out on more work

Ditto
July 31, 2008 12:07:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Finally, a quick question. 2 actually,
How many Demigods are ready for Beta?
How many Demigods are projected for final Release?

Ready for Beta is a funny question. All of our Demigods are playable, however many of them are much further into their polish pass than others. The Demigods the furthest along are Regulus, Torchbearer, Unclean Beast and the Rook.

As for the number of Demigods projected for release, I can neither confirm or deny any particular number...

- Mike "Tyo" Marr
Lead Designer for Demigod
July 31, 2008 12:55:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Well if you don't want to confirm/deny anything, then feel free to join us in rampant speculation.

I'm going with twelve at initial release, for no other reasaon then the I like the sound of the number twelve.
July 31, 2008 1:46:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Yep, sorry for not introducing myself, I'm the other half of the environment team led by the awesome Onecattle. Thanks, Annatar! I guess every game has a lava level, but it's great fun to make one.
July 31, 2008 1:52:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Thanks, Annatar! I guess every game has a lava level, but it's great fun to make one.

Yeah, well, not every game has one sadly and the ones that don't suck Besides, they're popular for a reason

On a semi-related note, are you all going to let Eric be the only sacrificial lamb that gets to put up with us on IRC?   Just think, if you all found some time to hop on, all the bugging would be spread among several people, so less for each!
July 31, 2008 4:53:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Anyone else notice the increased fever that is arising in the forums?

I've got a fever, and the only prescription is...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.