The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Takes Hollywood by Storm

By on July 25, 2008 4:43:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi.  Nate here.

As many of you may already know, our first trailer hit the internet yesterday at Gamespot.  It's hard to overstate how eager we were to get this footage out into the world -- at 2pm yesterday Gas Powered Games resounded with the sound of "refresh" buttons being repeatedly clicked as we waited for Gamespot to update.  Not only was this Demigod's first serious public outing, it was our first chance to show our friends and families what we'd been working on.  My wife says it's cool, so it's officially, objectively cool.

We have been enjoying the ongoing debate about the authenticity of the trailer.  Yes, every shot in the trailer was taken in-game.  We made no custom animations for the trailer.  The footage was run through After Effects to apply certain atmospheric effects and film grain, but by and large, what you see is what you'll get.  Steve Thompson, our lead animator, sat down with Jessica Snook, one of our designers, and the two of them camped out inside the game like wildlife photographers.  Steve managed to capture some great moments at some very beautiful angles, and then Howard Mostrom composed some gorgeous music to go with it.  If you still doubt that it's actual in-game footage, look closely at some of the shots late in the trailer: we managed to immortalize a bug that was generating persistent splats in midair when angels got shot down by towers of light.  That bug has been fixed, so if you could all kindly return the video to us, we'll go ahead and fix that.

Anyway, I'm glad the animators finally got to share their work, because they've been doing some spectacular stuff.  I know that superlatives are suspect in an officially-sanctioned developer journal, but Steve and Aung Oo have accomplished something that hasn't been done before in this type of game.  These characters feel alive, and I think that pays off in the gameplay.

Finally, Matt Vainio deserves a big wet kiss for designing our new logo.  It says everything it needs to say: a little mythological, a little future-y, and more than just a pinch of heavy metal.  It's amazing how having a logo makes you feel like you're working on a real, big-league game.

I can't wait to show you guys the stuff that'll be in the next trailer.  We definitely still have some eye-poppers waiting in the wings.

Nate Simpson, Lead Artist - Demigod

0 Karma | 47 Replies
July 25, 2008 4:52:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
You guys did a great job
July 25, 2008 5:12:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Awesome, footage.
What makes you think this isn't big-league?
Demigod is going to be amazing!
July 25, 2008 5:15:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I have watched it like 10 times. Good stuff. I have to admit I did not believe that was all in game footage at first either. Can't wait for beta.
July 25, 2008 5:45:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I have to hand it to the animators also, the game is looking very very good, even at these early stages!
July 25, 2008 5:59:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Passing a model on to Aung or Steve is always an exciting time for me.

Tim Cox
Character Artist
July 25, 2008 6:51:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I hope my system can run it like that. Those visuals are amazing.

we managed to immortalize a bug that was generating persistent splats in midair when angels got shot down by towers of light.

July 25, 2008 7:00:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
The animations of everything, though mainly the Unclean Beast, totally surprised me. The entire trailer looked and sounded great, along with removing my saliva-control ability. Super awesome job!
July 25, 2008 7:03:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Indeed, you guys did an awesome job on the trailer, and I'd like to state for the record that my jaw was just about ready to drop.

On top of the animations, some of the arenas you showed off looked very, amazingly cool.

I can't wait to dive into the Beta.
July 25, 2008 7:23:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
You guys did a fantastic job.

Well done!
July 25, 2008 8:43:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Awesome ! That's the only thing I have to say.
July 25, 2008 10:06:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Wow. The trailer is so good that I'm seriously considering pre-ordering.

Well done. Extremely well done. I salute you.
July 25, 2008 11:58:59 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Badass. Need the new desktop soon, so I can pre-order and beta test.
July 26, 2008 4:57:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
All was ingame! I gotta have to rewatch it now becouse first time I thought like 50% of if was preredered.
July 26, 2008 5:09:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
What are the current minimum specs? Im not sure I could run this thing.
July 26, 2008 7:06:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Well we heard that atleast the engine will be more efficient then the SupCom one, and since there probably wont be as many units on screen in Demigod as in SupCom I would say that if you can run SupCom somewhat good you should be able to play this.
July 26, 2008 10:53:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Well, my reaction is simple enough!

Pant pant pant. Drool drool drool.
July 26, 2008 5:47:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I'm jazzed about this game now more than ever. The diversity of the character designs shown is quite welcome, and the attacks look very impactful. I just hope you guys are designing with modding in mind. Not only would it be in your best interest for future expansions (I'm sure there will be), but I'll bet the community at large would like to answer the developers with their own creations. >)

Very much looking forward to this game, and damn you all for making us wait until August for a chance to test it. >D
July 27, 2008 7:00:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Great job with the trailer. The only problem I had was that it wasn't long enough... ????
July 27, 2008 8:18:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Sweet...

Trailer looks great!

not sure I'm in love with the new logo, but thats okay.
July 28, 2008 4:03:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
really all i can say is...

AMAZING!
July 28, 2008 8:56:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
really all i can say is...

MOAR!
July 28, 2008 9:30:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
really all i can say is...MOAR!

No, that's just what you have to say since this is a public forum
July 28, 2008 5:17:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
The animations look spectacular. From the mere glimpses we have, they seem to rival the face animations of Halflife 2. The two second clip of the Unclean Beast walking looks completely realistic. The Rook also looked awesome. Many games have problems with sliding feet, or the illusion of walking isn't complete, but that's non-existant in Demigod. Keep up the good work!
July 29, 2008 7:57:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
If there was any doubt in my mind that I am going to get this game, it's gone now! This game looks flaming amazing!

I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but I am a little disappointed that you had to add the almost-nude fairy lady. I would prefer that that was removed, but it doesn't look like anyone else cares. And I'd be really disappointed if it gave the game an M rating. I doubt it would, but that's a lot of bare skin.
July 29, 2008 8:23:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Don't worry, I extremely doubt that would give it an M rating. And they probably have some miserable old witch that counteracts the fairy
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.