The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod tentative schedule

By Posted July 10, 2008 22:02:03

image Greetings!  With the release of Beta 1 starting to get closer (August) to all those who pre-order the game, we're starting to put together a tentative schedule.

Those of you who have been through other Stardock betas know how these things go. Below is what you can expect:

August. Beta 1. This will not be a "fun" beta. It's a stress test of the engine. Those of you who were in the Sins of a Solar Empire beta or the GalCiv betas know we're not kidding. There will be very little balancing in this version. It will also be multiplayer-only at this stage.

October. Beta 2.  This beta won't be that fun either but it'll be better than Beta 1. THIS is the key beta in which players give us their ideas and suggestions.  The beta process isn't just to find bugs but to let players suggestion changes to the game.  There will be a series of Betas 2 (2A, 2B, 2C, etc.) that will be released in which we begin incorporating player suggestions. These will happen quite rapidly thanks to Impulse.

December. Beta 3. This may or may not be a public beta depending on how things go.  What we have done in the past is give players who have been particularly helpful access to late betas so that we can keep tweaking and enhancing with their feedback.

January. Gammas (release candidates).

February. Tentative release date at worldwide retail in multiple languages.

We do plan for the game to be available at stores roughly the same time in North America, Europe, Russia, and Australia/NZ at the very least.

Users who are part of the beta will be getting something special but I am not at liberty to talk about it yet.

0 Karma 56 Replies 37 Referrals
July 10, 2008 22:57:45

Thanks for the update.....can't wait! ????
July 10, 2008 23:04:09
Omg, cant wait, never done a BETA, soo glad its this game too!
July 10, 2008 23:05:17
Awesome . Question about beta entries though - Will each beta phase introduce more people? Or will Beta 1 have all the beta players for all the phases?
July 10, 2008 23:15:57
The way it typically works is whoever preorders gets in, and is in for the rest of the beta. Now, they did initially say the first beta would be limited, but they've never said the preorder limit was reached. A few weeks after a beta phase start, preorder processing is cut off and people who preorder after that have to wait until the next phase rolls out.

But, essentially, the beta is only for those who preordered the game.

Also, for those of you who haven't done a Stardock beta - Frogboy is dead serious. They are very technical and focused with their betas. Expect stuff to be intentionally left bare-bones for the sake of testing specific things (for example, beta 3 of Sins had less features than beta 2, because we were strictly testing the MP net code, so it was incredibly bare bones).

But the flip side is that you really feel like you're helping shape the game, since the betas are not just to show off the game as a marketing tool, but an actual test where you have an impact
July 11, 2008 00:43:56
Yay
July 11, 2008 01:25:43
Ready to be of service.
July 11, 2008 05:14:53
I don't believe him.

According to Scathis the game was already fun when some colored boxes walked over the screen and Stardock employees told in IRC that Demigod never crashed for them, so how could the beta 1 be no fun then?

And if there is no balancing in it I wonder what Eric was doing all time :o .

July 11, 2008 06:46:33

Hiding in IRC disguised as Erica.
July 11, 2008 09:00:18

I've been waiting for this.

July 11, 2008 09:20:31
so how could the beta 1 be no fun then?

Because they don't want people to cry if something crashes, is bugged, or is imbalanced ????
July 11, 2008 09:48:51
I would think that just playing the game itself will be sort of fun, but yeah, the game wont be at all polished and there is a high risk of glitches, so it will be frustrating..
July 11, 2008 12:27:15
are you guys talking about sins beta? i have work but i do get on after work and how would i participate on this beta. what type of feed backs should i be posting or maybe i should stick to replies?

anyways, i'm up for the beta testing if this is for sins new beta releases.

edit: i do use other names on sins sooo.... that does mean that we have to reveal ourselves to get the surprise pack? sorry, thought i had to bring that up.
July 11, 2008 12:29:04
No, this is about Demigod beta - which will be open to pre-orders only
July 11, 2008 12:40:35
I don't believe him.According to Scathis the game was already fun when some colored boxes walked over the screen and Stardock employees told in IRC that Demigod never crashed for them, so how could the beta 1 be no fun then?

You misinterpreted what he said. The purpose of the beta (and all betas) is to stress test the stability of the game, and not to demonstrate 'fun factor'. That doesn't mean you can't have fun while playing it, it just means that it's not our primary goal.

Balancing has been going on for a while, he means that it's still in progress. Traditionally this is one of the last parts done on a game, however due to the nature of Demigod's development there has always been some basic balance in place.
July 11, 2008 13:12:43
I was just fooling around, I do know what betas are about and if balance is done last traditionally no wonder most games are massively imbalanced on release, I am glad you work on it for so long already

------------------------
"It's the balance, stupid!"
Bill Clinton
July 11, 2008 13:17:38
Ohh, I'm looking forward to it... getting a new computer here real soon(new job, yay!), any hardware or OS you might need more testing with?

edit: just pre-ordered
July 11, 2008 14:31:11
I think beta 2 will be where it will get interesting. Because sp is the one that's been highly sprung about so defo need to give major feedback on that, hehe.
July 11, 2008 15:43:31
When will the beta forums be up and running? Being in my second year of my software development bachelor I am more eager for betas than ever
July 11, 2008 15:54:58
Technically, the beta forums are already up, here. There's just not much going on
July 11, 2008 16:19:27
Hopefully I can get a new computer before beta 2 comes out

I'm thinking that something special is either the collectors edition or a little Demigod figure.
July 11, 2008 16:30:39
It's going to be a working I-WIN button that will mean instant defeat for anyone who wasn't in the beta.
July 11, 2008 16:31:29
It is probably a special icon for your castle or something ????
July 11, 2008 16:37:16
@Annatar11
So you just have to preorder to be in on the beta?
July 11, 2008 16:53:08
Sweet, bug hunting. Imma break ur game real gud 4 u. >3

Are there specific guidelines we need to follow for bug submission? Will there be an in game /bug command or a menu option that brings up a form? Email addresses? Cans and string? Smoke signals?
July 11, 2008 17:46:14
So you just have to preorder to be in on the beta?

Yep. When the beta rolls out, the pre-orders will be charged and the serial numbers emailed out.

Like I mentioned in another thread, Stardock did state a while back (when the GPG-Stardock partnership and the beta were announced) that the first beta will be limited on the number of pre-orders as well, but they've never announced that the number has been reached. So chances are it's still open.

Stardock Forums v1.5.3141.15280
© 1995-2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.
All times are EST. The time is now 03:16:19
Server Load Time: 00:00:00   Page Render Time:
?? 2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.

Gas Powered Games and Demigod are trademarks of Gas Powered Games Corp. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are property of their respective owners.
Stardock and the Stardock logo are registered trademarks of Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.