The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A god has fallen: Can you take his place?

By on July 10, 2008 9:41:33 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums External Link

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

image The concept of Demigod is quite simple: A god has fallen and several heroes have stepped up to battle for the right to take his place.

The gods, accepting this challenge, have created a number of godly arenas where these heroes can call upon their former allies from the mortal world to help them achieve victory.

In a large sense, Demigod is a strategy game. But it's not like Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes. Instead, it is something quite different as it is very tactical in nature.

As someone who likes big strategy games, I wasn't sure what to make of the first Demigod alpha I played. But Demigod quickly got me hooked. As a Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander player, I really like the idea of a "commander" (your hero) leveling up and leveling up. 

imageThe gods look on as the battle ensues and wages are made on every fight big or small in the arena with the player collecting his portion when things go his way. This money can be used to improve your forces, buy spells, buy artifacts and items, recruit units, construct special buildings, etc. 

I have played as both a "general" and as an assassin.  The general plays mores similarly to an RTS where I am recruiting a lot of my units who fight on my behalf and I have some control over them.  The assassin is much more about the hero being a bad ass. You put your money and efforts into making him increasingly tough and sending him into the mix to do some real carnage.  I don't know which I like better, each build of the game gets dramatically better than last so it's hard to say. I will say I've been surprised at how much I've been enjoying the Assassin given how tactical it is compared to the general.

Locked Post 15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 10, 2008 10:02:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Looks pretty interesting.  I take it the unit in the first screenshot is a general?

July 10, 2008 10:15:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
New screenies!
July 10, 2008 10:20:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah more screenies of the arenas...
July 10, 2008 10:41:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
The UI looks like it could use improving

The text looks out of place is all.
July 10, 2008 11:02:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
The UI is very likely a basic placeholder for now.. game's still in Alpha
July 10, 2008 11:10:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Of course Not trying to nitpick. Just pointing out what I see in the SS
I'm excited!
July 11, 2008 4:02:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This game sounds interesting.  A few questions though.

1.  Is the 'assassin' class just a general term and not meaning that 

playing in action-rpg mode means the character is an assassin character

in the tradition RPG sense (rogue)?

2.  If you play as the assassin class, does the AI take over duties as the

general and hire units to assist the assassin class?

July 11, 2008 8:08:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
For the assassin, there are no supporting units - it's like running a character in an RPG. Instead of spending money on hiring units, they spend them on abilities/whatever instead, but essentially you just control the one unit.

And judging by the Rook (which is an assassin, I believe), they're not "rogues" in the traditional RPG sense
July 11, 2008 8:17:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I hope there is going to be more than just fighting within temples / parthenons. I get it if you're meant to fight in some sort of big arena created by the gods to see who wins however.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what is being done to really differeniate the levels from one another? In both looks and gameplay.

July 11, 2008 9:15:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
The first guy (the TorchBearer) is an Assassin I think, with various fire and ice spells. The Rook is also an Assassin. Assassin players just get the normal creeps to help out, while General players get to recruit extras. And by "Assassin" and "General", they just mean RPG-ish fighter and RTS-ish commander. They don't necessarily look like rogues or whatever.
July 11, 2008 9:29:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I'm thinking that as an Assassin, you will get reinforcements coming through those portals to fight with you, but you don't have control of them. The General can micromanage everything however. I wonder if there will be an option to let an allied General control your units, as an Assassin..
July 11, 2008 1:09:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I think the units that come out of the portals (for both Generals and Assassins) are uncontrollable. Generals, however, can make special units that they can control. Generals wouldn't be able to control Assassins' units since normal creeps are uncontrollable.
July 11, 2008 2:55:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
????I'm silly nitpicky at the word assassin. I know in the long term it won't have an affect, I just can't feel right with it.
July 11, 2008 10:56:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
  I'm silly nitpicky at the word assassin. I know in the long term it won't have an affect, I just can't feel right with it.

Well if you look at the Rook Tooltip in the other Journal from July 10th.. it says the Rook is a "Power Assassin"
July 13, 2008 6:01:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I thought this article was going to be about Obama - lol. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: