The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Pinned Post

Impulse official support thread

You need help? We're here!

By Posted June 17, 2008 14:41:07

Impulse has been released!

If you have any questions or problems, post here.

+35 Karma 538 Replies 39 Referrals
June 17, 2008 18:43:55
I knew I had forgotten something.

So far every app that I have opened except for Opera leaves the top edge of the Impulse dock showing in front when it is set to autohide. It does however stay in the background if not set to autohide.

June 17, 2008 18:48:45
It would also be really nice if the dock could be moved and resized.
June 17, 2008 18:56:12
Impulse doesn't seem to be 'DPI aware'. I use a DPI of 120 and some text is not displayed properly. Mostly text that is large (like a heading) is missing a few pixels at the bottom.

June 17, 2008 18:59:53
Ok sorry for all the posts.

I decided to check out the chat portion of Impulse and I'm curious what happened to the customized backgrounds for each channel? Everything is white at the moment.

June 17, 2008 19:01:35
You shouldn't need to uninstall. If you want, you can delete the XML files and everything will update.

Thanks for the quick reply . I'm afraid it still did the same after deleting the .xmls so I did end up just
reinstalling, which didn't take long. Everything seems to be good now.
June 17, 2008 19:06:11
Apparently there's an update but I keep getting an exception every time it tries to update.
What exception?
Firewalls blocking?
June 17, 2008 19:13:18
I tell ya it broke my heart

It said I had 22 so I knew it was lying. Seriously though,I like this idea.I have a list on my WCUAStats widget,this is way better.I actually got e-mail! Thank You.
June 17, 2008 19:17:30
When I sent out a few friend requests....it said I had 1616 pending requests. Do I even know that many people????

It's just doubling the number, it says I have 44 requests when it's really only 4.
June 17, 2008 19:19:31
FYI,

Finding Your Version Number:
If you want to find out what version of Impulse you are running, click on the "?" (blue icon) in the upper right corner and select "About Impulse". The version number is next to "Impulse version" in the form: x.xx.xxx. Example: 3.00.202

Including the version number in these forums & when communicating with the Support team helps them resolve your problem.

Chat:
Someone asked eariler about joining the #impulse channel and not finding anyone to talk too. Once you've connected to IRC chat, if you click on "icr.stardock.com" in the upper, left corner (side menu) you can scroll through and see a list of available channels (chat rooms) you can join. For example, if you type "/join #stardock" (without the quotes) you will join that channel, where a lot of people usually hang out.

...The Prof
Stardock Technical Writer
June 17, 2008 19:21:50
I posted the following under a different Impulse group....is it related to reply #4 ??

Just downloaded and installed Impulse v3.00.201 and I still cannot do an update on any application that says there are updates available, nor can I install any applications that are not currently installed. ALL attempts to update or install result in "Download Error !" I opend the error log and here is a sample of what I get:

-- [6/17/2008 1:24:45 PM] ----------------------------------------------------
Context: DownloadJob Error - lsv/odnt PublicProduction 1.00.003
Message: HTTP status 400: The server cannot process the request because the syntax is not valid.
http://dl1.impulsedriven.com/download.ashx?b=115&v=1.00.003&t=azyFGwgwUFlgN8BaKkBT23w9AmMa%2fD8bH9I95HuufI5AcB9Ph1Rxj8dCJqqCa39Y83vOxOgkZOQtcy4Z44P7tZhcTxzL5EKQMWH33TpLcPeP9JBA%2fcXv4%2bDE%2fbvKsa6cUoCm%2fIsuNJhl7lS3Eu1eFw89D%2fhDsCskEbbRsu%2fhWL1HrxBaZIqerIhY7LKy25GdecJXaxLcJjSfMhC%2b56wh07RGT8kfAmniF%2fkI0NwHlj6ACqfVRPVIeK0eL6xEbJR1y68S7yC5RsoshT9qH0rl%2f%2bEFTsJz4jFtuZ9kvq35Xu8dC3yB3wl%2bHMjRCCHDFdlmJFc6Os9xu0SqilaKQWDz0rEfuxFWkqdMGSkBm9oCfoe%2f0UPOEsnj2pUin32wtq9D2U0%2b2J2NI8d2IFkFJLCjvLCndU73AktTF0ikjMIhy77dz7RU0acC8jEW%2fVWd6M0Yz7we94rpgT0jLVhSwefB%2bKofxGLFohs0Ao5mlNmzaQ2%2bNI%3d&f=The error occurred while the remote file was being processed.

I've started two other threads on this topic and have taken all advice for corrective actions very seriously. Now that I have waited on the most recent release and the problem is still there, perhaps a Stardock representative would be so kind as to tell what I have to do to get Impulse to complete downloads and installs/updates? Otherwise, I'm just punching holes in the dark trying to guess what is going on.....I am running Vista Home Premium 32bit on a 1 year old Dell Inspiron Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz processors and 2gb RAM. I have Norton 360 v2.0 as my anitvirus/firewall and I use PCTools Threatfire and Antispyware applications. I could disable everything and even if Impulse actually completed downloads and installs/updates, it wouldn't tell me what actions are required on my part to keep my anitvirus and spyware protection and use Impulse simultaneously.

Folks, I've uninstalled Impulse, cleaned the registry with PCTools Registry Mechanic, cold booted my PC, ran a defrag, cleaned up all temporary files, manually ran a virus scan on my hard disk, manually ran scans on my hardisk with both PCTools Threatfire and Antispyware, redownloaded Impluse. Installed Impulse as an Adminsitrator, even right clicked an chosen to Run Impulse as an Adminstrator....and, NADA...nothing downloads/updates/installs.....yet, on this same PC, good old SDC hums along nicely and has absolutely no problems downloading and/or installing updates or applications.

Tell me again why I should continue to try and use Impulse.....for the nice Dock? For the fresh GUI? Because my SDC is eventually going to go the way of the dinasour and end up being pumped into my car at $5 a gallon? Please for friggin sakes, will somebody/anybody offer a solution to the download error....I read the forums and I know I am not alone...

June 17, 2008 19:30:40
I have an issue. I can't download anything.

ver 3.00.202

-- [6/17/2008 5:25:58 PM] ----------------------------------------------------
Context: UpdateApplicationFileList: drengin, gda,PublicProduction
Exception: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

I have no A/V or firewall installed. I've set an exception in Windows Firewall for Impulse. I could open some ports on my router if I needed to.

Help, please! I bought Space Rangers 2: Reboot, and I'm dying to try it out.
June 17, 2008 19:39:19
Apparently there's an update but I keep getting an exception every time it tries to update.What exception?Firewalls blocking?

It said 'ek' threw an exception

EDIT: I tried to install TweakVista and got this

My error log is empty.
June 17, 2008 19:40:13
Hello,

It was my understanding that I could purchase a retail game and register it with Impulse. I've been entering my cd-key for unreal tournament III and it stated that I could not register the key due to it not being provided by stardock? Am I missing something here? Didn't think I had to purchase it from you or not? Didn't know if this was an impulse error or just a misunderstanding.

Thanks!
June 17, 2008 19:49:20
It will only work with distributors who have decided to partner with Stardock.

And yet I do see it listed on impulsedriven, hmm.
June 17, 2008 20:09:48
I can't even get it to run. I downloaded impulse setup and installed it and apparently the install is completed however whenever I try to open it i get the "Stardock Impulse has encountered a problem and needs to close" message...what do I do?
June 17, 2008 20:26:27
I've been entering my cd-key for unreal tournament III and it stated that I could not register the key due to it not being provided by stardock? Am I missing something here? Didn't think I had to purchase it from you or not? Didn't know if this was an impulse error or just a misunderstanding.

It's something we'd like to support, but it's not there yet. For now, only our own retail games are supported through Impulse.
June 17, 2008 20:28:11
I have an issue. I can't download anything. ver 3.00.202 -- [6/17/2008 5:25:58 PM] ----------------------------------------------------Context: UpdateApplicationFileList: drengin, gda,PublicProductionMessage: Server problem or connection issueException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.I have no A/V or firewall installed. I've set an exception in Windows Firewall for Impulse. I could open some ports on my router if I needed to. Help, please! I bought Space Rangers 2: Reboot, and I'm dying to try it out.

I fixed it. It is due to a MS Service being disabled. I'm not sure which one, since I had several disabled.
June 17, 2008 21:02:04
It would also be really nice if the dock could be moved and resized.

+1
I can now see the NVIDIA icon so I ran it just to check it out. It's showing 169.25 which is badly out of date.I recently updated my drivers to 175.16 (Current version)I rechecked through NVIDIA driver downloads.It's still a great link,but I'd double check #s before installing from it for now.
June 17, 2008 21:41:48

I purchased TA when it first came out.

It's listed in SDC as a purchased game, but it is NOT listed in Impulse in the "My Games" folder. (All of the other games I purchased are listed on Impulse)

Why isn't it there? What do I have to do to get it listed?

Thanks,

B.

June 17, 2008 22:08:55
I fixed it. It is due to a MS Service being disabled.

Impulse uses the same BITS system as windows updates, so that's likely it.
June 17, 2008 22:29:25
Oh yeah and nice job adding the progress indicator. ????
June 17, 2008 23:03:05
Having the same problem with political machine 2008. Purchased it through impulse, it shows up on my credit card billing online but the serial number i got didn't work, I got no email, and when I request serial numbers and games email from stardock political machine 2008 is not included in the list of 'my games.' Very frustrating.
June 17, 2008 23:26:21
I have a question. You have the ability to add tabs, and then drag your icons onto those tabs. Does this mean that when I get a new computer, I can load those apps onto the new machine from there? Even if they are freeware, or not Stardock products?
June 17, 2008 23:38:34
I have a question. You have the ability to add tabs, and then drag your icons onto those tabs. Does this mean that when I get a new computer, I can load those apps onto the new machine from there? Even if they are freeware, or not Stardock products?

Not sure excatly what you mean. You can load Impulse onto any computer and then use the Minimize to Dock feature. Then drag your short cuts or .exe launch files into the dock and it will create the short cut for you. These same short cuts are also found in the tabs in Impulse (also responding to drag and drop).
June 17, 2008 23:51:46
Xiandi if I am understanding your question properly I think the following is the answer you are looking for.

From : Impulse to deliver next-generation PC platform By Draginol

What is Impulse?

Impulse is the solution to a basic problem on the PC: The fragmentation of the market has made developing, buying, and supporting software increasingly difficult; Impulse addresses these issues and more.

Here is a sample of the issues Impulse is designed to solve:

1) A user gets a new PC or re-builds an existing one. Today, that user is forced to dig through CDs and serial numbers to reload their games, utilities, applications, and other programs. With Impulse, the user types in their UserID and Password, and all the titles associated with it (even if they didn???t buy the title via Impulse) are automatically downloaded and installed.

Your Stuff

Load up Impulse and once logged on, you can download or update any of the programs associated with your account.

Figure 1: Your stuff

You don???t have to necessarily have purchased the program from the Impulse store to update and download it. If it???s a Stardock program, it doesn???t matter where you bought it. You could have purchased Galactic Civilizations I back in 2003 in Germany and still use Impulse to download the full complete latest/greatest version.

Stardock is also working with publishers to support this for their titles, so that no matter where you bought your game or application, you???ll be able to download and update it on Impulse ??? for free.
Stardock Forums v1.5.3141.15280
© 1995-2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.
All times are EST. The time is now 03:26:02
Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000016   Page Render Time:
?? 2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.

Gas Powered Games and Demigod are trademarks of Gas Powered Games Corp. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are property of their respective owners.
Stardock and the Stardock logo are registered trademarks of Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.