The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Describe the perfect Zombie Game!

Honestly, tell me! I need to know

By on May 28, 2008 2:52:58 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'm leading a 5-member team in Warcraft3 on making a massive Zombie-Based game.
While all the members of my team have pitched forth alot of ideas for the game, I still want more.  More. MOAR.

So; describe the perfect Zombie game you can come up with. It doesn't even have to exist!  What are some features that set it apart form other games?    What can  you do in it that keeps it from getting boring?  Is there a story behind it?  What are some ways you kill zombies or stay in head of them?

Some things to keep in mind:
-Game is in third perspective. 
-Game does not follow a storyline; aka linear game play.  Players are put in a town and survive off of it.  Much more complex than that though
-Be creative. I don't care if you have played warcraft3 and don't think your feature can be done.  Tell us.  Chances are that feature will spawn more ideas that can go into the game.

Of course, here's a link for our small sub-forum that has some of the ideas.  But put any ideas here rather than there =/
http://clanbom.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=48

And thanks for helping us out, it does wonders. 
(this isn't Spam, I check these forums several times a day >: (    )

+3 Karma | 35 Replies
May 28, 2008 4:23:26 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'm sick and mother f*ckin' tired of being chased by zombies.

Screw that. I want to be the first zombie, out infecting the unsuspecting town.

Now THAT'S a zombie game I'd finally give a damn about - be the antagonist, be the bad guy, kill all the humans or zombify them.
May 28, 2008 4:34:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Left 4 Dead is a potential for best zombie game ever...it has everything i want.
May 28, 2008 5:04:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Then you're going to love the aforementioned Left 4 Dead game. You can play as a zombie in co-op multiplayer.

Mad Cat
May 28, 2008 5:17:32 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
You can play as a zombie in co-op multiplayer.

I, sir, am now intrigued.
May 28, 2008 7:31:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Funny you should talk about that, my brother came up with a idea for a zombie game that sounds like what you just said Windexglow. here is the linkWWW Link. It does have some spelling errores so bear with it
May 28, 2008 11:39:43 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I would say any game that does not require Thought would qualify.
May 28, 2008 11:56:45 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'd like to see a game that incorporates The Walking Dead into it's plot. What exactly I mean by that, I'm not totally sure of, but you should definitely read The Walking Dead. Social commentary perhaps?

And Left 4 Dead looks amazing to me. The team based survival is a much better idea than one person against unsurmountable odds (i.e. get big guns and lots of ammo to survive). Left 4 Dead makes you care about your mates because if one dies, you're pretty much dead too.

Now, taking a village of people standing against a horde would absolutely have to involve character interactions. Otherwise I'd just feed everyone else to the Zombies.
May 28, 2008 12:52:51 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It's actually a pretty good idea. But since zombies shouldn't be able to think or adapt, us playing as them would be out of character. Besides, there wouldn't be many tactical options available and just limping around, getting shot at, etc would quickly become boring.

But the part about being the antagonist is pretty interesting, to me anyway. Believe it or not, I've never actually played or heard of a game(except GCII, but you can choose to be good) where I was inherently the bad guy.
May 28, 2008 2:01:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Brains! BRAINS!!!!!! brainnnnsssssss!!!!!!
May 28, 2008 2:18:31 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
But since zombies shouldn't be able to think or adapt, us playing as them would be out of character.

That all depends on which zombie mythos you're using. Sure, some of them have the lumbering, mindless zombies, but some of them have the zombies retain vestiges of humanity.

So you could go for one of those.

But the part about being the antagonist is pretty interesting, to me anyway.

We definitely need a game like this. One that'll raise the hackles of the Christian Right with all its wanton violence, antipathy, and lack of 'good morals'.

Sounds like a winner in my book!
May 28, 2008 3:10:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Left 4 Dead does sound like it really stays true to the spirit of zombie horror.

My ideal zombie game would try to capture the horror, desperation, and social commentary of the genre. Art direction would be extremely important: I need to feel like I'm wandering the empty husk of an abandoned world, and I want to be reminded that these grotesque monsters used to be my neighbors and friends.

The point of zombie horror isn't really the zombies- its how living humans behave when the social order breaks down and they become desperate. Desperate humans without rules- thats even scarier than zombies. So, there would have to be strong role-playing elements. A big part of the game would be managing relationships with other people in order to survive. Like the Left 4 Dead tagline says: fight together or die alone. Sooner or later, you'd run into some people who will lie to you, try to take advantage of you, or even outright harm or try to kill you for various reasons.

There wouldn't be much of mowing down zombies, either. Its really hard to shoot a moving target in the head (zombies shamble, wobbling back and forth), especially if you're not trained to use a handgun. Even if you got explosives or an automatic weapon (many cities have armed forces bases, and the police always have MP5s stored somewhere), you're going to have limited ammo. Guns jam and break down in combat as well. A realistic melee combat system would be needed- some lucky zombie is going within arm's length of you sooner or later.

You'd have to worry about food, water, tools, proper rest, shelter from zombies and the elements, medical supplies (and knowledge), finding other survivors, etc. You get tired if you run too long, zombies don't. Injuries can severely reduce mobility, or even get infected and lead to death. Rotten food can lead to food poisoning. The list of dangers and worries goes on and on...

The biggest advantage people have over zombies is being smart and creative. Interactive scenery to represent the various uses of tools and what not would be great- welding sheet metal over car windows, fortifying a home by removing a hallway door and nailing it to the front door, digging a pit in your yard and filling it with flammable oil as a trap, or sharpening a farm tool to use as a makeshift melee weapon. All you need to make chain mail is metal twine, a wooden dowel and a lot of patience. Of course, chain mail is very heavy and hot when you're running from the undead...

May 28, 2008 5:26:45 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Some great ideas there capn_danger
May 28, 2008 10:51:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Have a somewhat sort of "cache" Of ammo. If it's going to be a -shooter with limited ammo and needs to be wise- kind of game.

If not, then have so you have good fall-back defenses, or just defenses that prevent them from hitting you first and them hitting like a box or something blocking their path but you can still shoot them. have them all rangers or whatever unit is the human shooter, and have it a hero class. Obviously, you'll be somewhat better at shooting if you shot 100 zombies! Surly you can't get Worse at shooting . Heck, this'll add some very useful abilities, such as an ability to have everyone in a radius shoot faster, run faster, construck obstructions faster,

A self defense melee thingy would be very helpful, such as for saving your sorry-self.

Have it so it's easier with teammates helping you, not nessicarly focus fire though, but like easier to take down zombies; And have it noticiably harder with the lack of a minimum of players ( like 3-4 ), just don't go extream hard.

Capn_danger has nice ideas, and I read, not everyones accurate hitting with a pistol, but since its WC3, Make an increase chance to dodge or miss an attack?

Traps is a very good idea, such as a certain character should be able to lay specific traps, such as slowing an area or someone multi-shooting a volley of like 2, or have an extreamly strong 1 shot kill every 3 minutes. Abilties to make the game more fun and possible. ( since the game of zombies should be realisiticly impossible )
May 28, 2008 11:32:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
TheAzn; My clan chieftain is creating an accuracy script that will allow 'realistic' projectiles to a certain extent. It will allow an expected 30-50 missiles (bullets) to be in existence which is far more than we will ever need.
The only limitation is it runs only into units and walkable destruct ables (wc3 pathes walkables based on the tallest part. If I have a perfect sphere ball, the bottom half won't matter at all. The rest has it's own shape.
I've bargained with the guy with some things and the accuracy script will allow acceleration (including negative), curving, user-inputed random movement, and so on. It's quite powerful.

There will be many weapons, however each one will have a maximum attack rate. The greatest limitation with guns will be the characters 'experience' with weapons. The less experience the more inaccurate it will be.

I want hte game to be more survival than zombie-fest-2008. So players will occasionally be overrun or have to retreat. I'm trying to stay away form ultimate fortresses of doom and destruction, so no automated defenses.

Traps will be 1 use only, but some defenses will have constant effects (barbed wire or electrified wire that shorts out during rain.)

I can't say anything more because 99% of the stuff I said is still in heavy concept form.
May 29, 2008 3:43:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
BrAiNZzZzz!!
May 29, 2008 4:05:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Have you guys ever read "the zombie survifal guide" or "World War Z"? One of the best books I have ever read and really captures what Captian_Danger said.
May 29, 2008 5:24:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The Zombie Survival Guide is awesome. I had to put it down several times while reading and remind myself that it was just satire and the zombies weren't really coming.

Then I felt sad, because I was really looking forward to the zombie apocalypse. My first stop is the Scuba Store: all the harpoons and anti shark-bite mesh that I could ever need!
May 29, 2008 6:53:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
You should read World War Z. It is written by the same author how wrote the zombie survifal guide. It is about when a zombies spread to all the world. The best part is that instead of having one point of view it has diffrent points of views of people all over the world. I would recomend reading this book to everone how likes this type of stuff. Max brooks Rocks!!!????
May 29, 2008 6:58:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Where's my chain saw? and sawed off shot gun?

B movies though they are, the Evil Dead, ED2, and Army of Darkness were hysterical.

You would absolutely have to include a variety of melee weapons, including some of the less obvious. Croquet mallet, anyone?

And on a more serious note, how would you handle improvised armour? I for one am not going out with less than a coat on (protect the arms from bites) and some kind of football helmet with an added neck guard.
I know that in the movies, the heroes always get bitten and turned. Why would you even consider going out with less than 100% body coverage?

This brings up the encumbrance penalty we all love to hate so much from D&D, but without it, you could carry a ton of armor, weapons, ammo, and food.

And any realistic game is going to have to include vehicles, fuel, spare parts, armoring up said vehicles, raiding the nearest army base for that ever important Bradley mobile home.

I love the idea, but at least consider all aspects before you launch some half-assed version that turns everyone off before you come out with the "full" version.
May 29, 2008 7:22:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Does any body know about Joeuser? I am thinking about starting a Zombie thread their.
May 29, 2008 8:59:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Nequa; I'm going to check out the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z tomarrow, thanks for the heads up.

Dax;

Where's my chain saw? and sawed off shot gun?
The game will place more importance over survival than being a Zombie-Fest 2008. However making it the least repetitive as possible is one of the main goals, and item-combining will on the to-do list (Rather low, due to the tremendous amount of work for something like that)

You would absolutely have to include a variety of melee weapons, including some of the less obvious. Croquet mallet, anyone?
As with above, I plan for many types of weapons and many tools to be usable as weapons.
Later updates will allow a greater number of these tools and more weapons to be used.

And on a more serious note, how would you handle improvised armour? I for one am not going out with less than a coat on (protect the arms from bites) and some kind of football helmet with an added neck guard.
I know that in the movies, the heroes always get bitten and turned. Why would you even consider going out with less than 100% body coverage?

Before it was more or less planned that body armor would be the only use; however it would be a great idea to allow improvised armor.
For simplicity, there won't be slots for Head, neck, and other body parts protection. A jacket will help protect from X% of bites.
You bring up a good point I haven't put much thought into; attack types. Bashing, piercing, biting, and others will be the main types of attacks zombies can do.

This brings up the encumbrance penalty we all love to hate so much from D&D, but without it, you could carry a ton of armor, weapons, ammo, and food.
The more you carry the slower you'll be; yes, and your sanity (basically how tired you are) will drop faster. But if you carry alot often, than you'll slowly become stronger and able to carry more.

And any realistic game is going to have to include vehicles, fuel, spare parts, armoring up said vehicles, raiding the nearest army base for that ever important Bradley mobile home.
There will be no vechiles, simply because I don't want to have players parking their cars in their home. Wc3 lacks an effeciant way to control a car without causing lag, even using JASS.
There will be no military or nuclear warhead bases. It's just a small, average American(?) town. Since the military "Swooped through here scattering zombies" a few days earlier, there will be military outposts which might have ammo inside. Nothing major.
On a side note, the game will never reference to anything that can point hte towns location down, it's name, or what country it is in. In fact, the game takes place in a fictional world with modern technologies (allows us to be creative with weapon names and how they work)

I love the idea, but at least consider all aspects before you launch some half-assed version that turns everyone off before you come out with the "full" version.
Hence the reason for this topic eh?

All the stuff here is concept and can easily change.
May 30, 2008 2:26:48 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Does any body know about Joeuser? I am thinking about starting a Zombie thread their.

You did, essentially. Forum posts cross-pollinate through all of the Stardock websites. So by posting in the PC Gaming section on GalCivII or SoaSE (whichever, doesn't matter), you posted it at JoeUser too.

Proof? Guess where I'm responding from, right now.

I'll give you a clue - it's a poo brown color . . .
May 30, 2008 7:07:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
the toliet? just kidding. I did not do it yet, but I have notice that several of my other articles go over to other stardock sites.
May 30, 2008 7:41:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Ever play Urban Dead? It is a good game even though it was made by a group of people how just wanted to make a zombie Massive multyplayer game and not some big name company. I would suggest to go to wikipedia and follwoing their link to Urban Deads wiki since it has plenty of information. I think it would help with what you are planning Windexglow.
August 14, 2008 10:49:08 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
bump
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.