The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

AVG Free 7.5 is no more.....

And there's a "catch" to it's replacement.

By on May 5, 2008 9:23:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I just ran my daily avg scan after which I got a splash screen telling me AVG Free 7.5 will no longer be updated,and you must upgrade to "free"  version 8.0. Sounds good,right? NOT! So-called free version 8 will only scan your mail for 30 days then you must upgrade to the paid version.Read the reveiws on c|net here.http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?cdlPid=10834624 They barely mention the fact you're being "railroaded" into the paid version after 30 days. How much you want to bet that 8.0 is a real beast to remove after 30 days is up?
+1531 Karma | 74 Replies
May 5, 2008 9:54:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
That funny, I ran mine this morning and nothing came on the screen. I also ran my update. Wonder what is going on??
May 5, 2008 9:54:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
lol why dont you just download it and get the cracked one?
May 5, 2008 9:57:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Complaining about how a product you value has no value and should be given away for free forever stinks of something. 

I like AVG free . . but I have options; other free antivirus, paid antivirus, no antivirus.

I see it as a glass half full . . I got great service for free for years . .maybe it's time to pay up and support the great service?
May 5, 2008 10:02:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
That funny, I ran mine this morning and nothing came on the screen. I also ran my update. Wonder what is going on??

Ditto
May 5, 2008 10:03:32 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
AVG Free is still free, but they're limiting the email scanning portion to 30 days. Seems like a good compromise to me. Come on. It's free. If you don't like it, ask for your money back.

I'm still using the paid version of AVG and have no complaints. Having the option to buy a two year license is pretty nice and saves some coin over the long haul. Companys like AVG deserve to be supported. Be thankful that you have a free otpion at all.

May 5, 2008 10:10:55 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Your not serious are you? Why not just rob a bank and use that money to buy the paid version?

AVG are entitled to compromise a terrific free product to tempt it's many users into paying for their product.

They have to eat too ya know.......
May 5, 2008 10:12:11 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
LOL got the best of both world here at home

My main PC has the paid for version installed and the laptop has the free version. I a more than happy to pay for a new license when the paid version runs out in May. However i have heard some reviews that say the new version is not that good, so i may shop around when the time comes to renew. I have been really happy with the service up to now though!
May 5, 2008 10:15:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
The notification popped up yesterday on only one of my 3 AVG Free rigs. I've had a very long and effective 'trial' with AVG Free - suspect I'll spring for 8, though I never like how these apps move from doing one thing very well to doing 'everything' poorly. They all seem to succumb to the Norton Syndrome eventually.
May 5, 2008 10:26:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Stolen does not = free in my book.

It has served me well since 1/08 and is worth buying, but my budget won't allow it right now. I do believe in paying for products that suit my purpose and work as advertised. I'm not knocking AVG's decision to charge after 30 days,more that c|net puts it under "free" when it is plainly Trialware. Free should be just that. So, I'll try some other free AV, but won't dismiss AVG as a possibility in the future when I can pay for it.I just wanted others to know the replacement AVG is offering is not free indefinately????
May 5, 2008 10:34:06 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Heh, I don't use the email scanner anyway.

Why not just rob a bank and use that money to buy the paid version?

D'oh! Why didn't I think of that? Let's see, what can I use the excess dough for...?

May 5, 2008 10:56:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well, you really can't complain if it's FREE. I've used it for quite some time, then decided to upgrade to the 8.0 Free version. I didn't like the new version. It consumed to much resources. I now use Avast Home Free version. I think it works just as good as AVG Free version. Check it out.
May 5, 2008 11:22:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I switched to Avast a week ago
May 5, 2008 11:28:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well, you really can't complain if it's FREE. I've used it for quite some time, then decided to upgrade to the 8.0 Free version. I didn't like the new version. It consumed to much resources. I now use Avast Home Free version. I think it works just as good as AVG Free version. Check it out.

Thanks for the heads up on v8.0 I had enough trouble with Norton sucking up resources. I dl'd Avast this morning but was going to give AVG 8.0 a fair try for 30 days before I installed it.I think I'll pass and move on. I've only been using AVG for 3 months, so it's not like I'm losing an old friend. Besides, you can re-skin Avast,how cool is that!??????
May 5, 2008 11:39:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well, I use AVG Pro....yes, I already pay for it! I orginally started out using the free version, but switched to the paid version about a year ago. This is one top-notch anti-virus program, and it doesn't eat up all your system resources like the "bigshots" do!
May 5, 2008 11:43:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hm, just updated and no message about that here yet. Will probably just break down and buy NOD32 when the time does come.
May 5, 2008 11:48:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Advocating warez is a way to earn a quick ticket out of here. 

Anyways, I only use AVG on my XP VM's.  I prefer Trend Micro for Vista.

May 5, 2008 11:55:39 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
If you do go the pay antivirus route, I highly recommend Eset's NOD32. It's extremely fast and very lightweight. You won't even know it's there.
May 5, 2008 11:57:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I don't use anti-virus software. I never get any viruses. Is it really that useful?
May 5, 2008 12:00:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Really? Your going to download a file one day and get owned. Anyways, avast 4.8 is better anyways.
May 5, 2008 12:08:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I have been using the Free AVG 8 (version 7.5.224 ) for quite a while ... No Problems at all ..
May 5, 2008 12:12:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I have used AVG free version for years and have not had any viruses to speak of except the few Trojans AVG grabbed within a half second when I hit a website that was infected.

I have never used the email scan portion ever ...my server scans my email and I just dont open anything that looks fishy.

If I have to buy AVG - then I'll buy it.

I spent $100 buying Nortons a few years ago and it was a piece of crap.
May 5, 2008 12:20:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
There's Avira as well. I've heard it's good.
May 5, 2008 12:22:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I get the McAfee Security center 2007 free with my O2 broadband.

However it's a bit of a system hog. I want my Nod32 back that was the best I've ever had but unfortunately with getting the McAfee for free I just can't justify it.

DANG IT!
May 5, 2008 12:27:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I just want to report that yes AVG Free 7.5 has gone away.................it has been replaced by AVG Free 8.0! ????

If I remember correctly this is how they did their last major update. It seems a poor way of getting you to upgrade to the paid version.????

Open up 7.5, click un the upper left hand corner and it will take you to the AVG Free home page. You will see a comparison of three versions, the free, and two paid. Follow the prompts and it will take you to Download.com so you can upgrade to the New Free Version.

Some changes: The GUI, go figure. If you had been using AVG Free Anti-Spyware, this upgrade incorporates it. The install takes care of getting rid of the older versions. They seemed to have formulize registering. I guess they want to keep a better hand on people using the free version. It also appears that now everyone will get live forum support. Nice.

So, bottom line, you can still have a free version. ????

May 5, 2008 12:28:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Ugh... I keep away from Norton and MacAfee.. In my opinion they are worse than viruses, taking over the machine and preventing anything from running at any kind of appreciable speed. They used to be good, but they succumbed to the overblown hype of "I can do anything" (and take down your computer with it).

AVG more than does the job for me for well over a year and I hope it doesn't go that way, although its site has gone from the friendly "indie" look to megaprofessional clean, sterile look.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean, I just got this:

Oh, well, it's still free though And anyway they would deserve the money, it was a good antivirus.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.